SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
Persason

Is there enough snow in hakuba?

Question

Hey folks! 

Ny fiance and I are going to ski in hakuba (goryu) from 19th Jan to 26 Jan. It has been several years since I last went on ski. 

But looking at the weather and snow reports I am somewhat worried. It is going to rain the next couple of days.. Will that not melt the snow away? Also there seems to be little to no snowfall coming. 

Will the resorts even be open? I would like to be able to ski from top to bottom. 

Where else would you recommend us go? I would rather just loose the money for the hotel than pay for a less than mediocore experience. 

Thanks! 

2 answers to this question

Higher up in Hakuba seems to be ok, but it doesn't look like anywhere is doing particularly well this year.  So far.

Shockingly less than normal in Yuzawa/Minamiuonuma by the looks of things. I can only comment on that area in particular because I used to live there and know what it usually gets.

It's kind of funny (though actually shocking/worrying) to see websites for some resorts claiming "powder snow" in their blurb, when there isn't even enough snow to open yet!  Yikes.

I really do hope the season can improve greatly/recover.

I'm sure we all share the concerns.

Low snowfall is like a double punch because it's a struggle at the beginning and if it doesn't catch up, the season will also end early.

I remember seeing the monthly forecast on NHK a few days ago and it was saying 'warmer than normal' for lots of Japan.

Wonder if February can give us lots of juice.