SnowJapan Community
Fleety

Buying ski equipment for Myoko

Question

Hi there,

Family ( 3 kids and the Mrs) and I are travelling to Japan, skiing Myoko/Nozawa from Jan 1st 2020. First ever trip to Japan. We arrive Tokyo on December 31st and will head to Myoko via Nagano on trains on Jan 1st. We want to get skiing asap on arrival but would like to purchase some ski gear ( skis for our 5 y/o for example) ASAP on arrival. We wont have time in Tokyo (plus it'll be NYE). I would really appreciate any tips/advice on buying gear in either Nagano or Myoko. Whats best for us to get widest selection, value etc... We are also happy to buy online to collect on arrival if thats possible/better!

Thanks in advance!

3 answers to this question

Hi Fleety,

I will start by saying that I do not have the most experience in buying gear!

But, I would imagine buying before Japan and bringing with you would be better. Less 'panic' and less wasted time, more choice, probably less expensive.

Nozawa and Myoko are small villages/towns and while you may well be able to buy stuff, there'd (surely) be limited choice and likely more expensive than you could get elsewhere...

Anyway, that's what I think.  :)

• Like 1

Hi and Welcome!

Tell the people you are staying with in Myoko/Nozawa that you are interested in purchasing gear etc and maybe they'll let you know what is available. It should be easy enough to get hire skis for a 5yr old.

re Nagano there is at least one shop near the station but you may find yourself in the mad Jan Sales rush when you're not going to get the best attention from the overworked staff.......in some places it's Jan 1st, others the 2nd or 3rd.

Online? a very busy time of year but they could send the skis ahead of  your arrival (accommodation usually have no problems with that) if you purchase in mid-Dec. Do you read Japanese? there are bargains to be had at the moment on last year's skis but most of the info is not in English. I have been very careful not to write any names which might be construed as advertising.

Have a great trip and enjoy the après-ski onsen.....there are plenty but be careful in Nozawa as they can be very hot.....44°-46° C in the public ones.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback team! Based on this we will definitely just buy the bits we need before we go! Some good off season deals in NZ now so we will take advantage!!