SnowJapan Community
mpowell9

Ski rentals, Fukushima, Akita, Iwate.

Question

8 answers to this question

That's a heck of a wide question! 

Perhaps if you are more specific?

Ok, Im looking for some powder skis to rent, I'll be travelling around north Honshu by car. 

Hi Mike

Can I ask - if you are going to be travelling, presumably that will be for a fair number of days.
In that case, surely buying gear would be cheaper (and less hassle) (?)

Hi Muikabochi,

Yes buying skis may be a little cheaper but is more hassle to travel with.  If I buy, I have the costs of the skis, costs of flying the skis around and then the hassle at the airports, Tokyo Station, on and off trains etc.  It is so much easier to fly in, pick up the rental car and then grab a pair of skis.  Plus there is the benefit of having skis that are relatively new and I can change models every now and then for something different.   Im paying around 18,000JPY a day in Hokkaido.  Ive traveled to Japan with my own skis before but renting is money well spent I reckon.

So I know there are rental shops in Hakuba and Myoko but Im wanting to train to Fukushima and then get the car there rather than go west and then up north - surely there must be plenty of rental shops for a 3 week rental up north?

On 9/6/2019 at 12:46 PM, mpowell9 said:

Thats 1800JPY a day....

Edited by mpowell9

Appi Kogen has very decent ski rental. I got Fischer World Cup RC4 for 5000 yen per day. It is difficult to find this high level ski in anywhere. 

Zao had one shop with Völkel Race Tiger close to similar high level for 4500 yen per day.

But Getto Kogen and Naeba had soft low quality skies only on offer.

Therefore last season I also brought my own skies with me from Europe to avoid any issues with low quality skies and frustration. The same goes for boots. I have not seen any high level quality boots in the above mentioned places.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, mpowell9 said:

Im paying around 18,000JPY a day in Hokkaido.  

Hi, you paying that for what exactly? 

Hi Muikabochi,

That should be 1800JPY per day, not 18,000JPY, my mistake - this is what I pay for late model rental ski's in Hokkaido - approximately half price compared to late model rental skis here on NZ.