SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bige

Iwappara + Joetsu Kokusai tie-up... what's it about?

Question

Hi!

I see that Iwappara in Yuzawa town and Joetsu Kokusai in Minamiuonuma city seem to have a 'joint ticket' and various tie-ups.

What's the story there? 

You can't ski both in a day can you (or would you), they're a 30 minute or so ride from each other, right?

6 answers to this question

They are not really a 2 in one day setup.  As you say it's 30 minutes or so by road from one to the other.

It's more just a business\marketing relationship I think, they are owned by the same company.

They have a joint season ticket too if you like both of them.

I am not sure that they even have a bus service from one directly to the other (though I may be wrong).

I usually visited both each season when I lived there though. Joetsu Kokusai would take the best part of a day to cover - it's really spread out and not helped by some slow lifts, but even so I kind of like it. Especially the back and side areas. Iwappara is perfect for beginners, better skiers and boarders will need to head to the top area for some challenge.

Iwappara is perfect for beginner folk in the wide and gentle main slope.

The only part of it that interests me is the top area.

Not been to Joetsu Kokusai.

I wonder if there might have been a plan for a gondola to connect them at one time?  (Maybe not!)

It's just the same company owning them, hence lift ticket stuff and events.

Hmmm, that would be a gondola some15km long, crossing over a lot of farms and residences, and then up & over the Maiko ski area to get to the top of Iwappara. I'm guessing no 😎.