SnowJapan Community
s5804

Looking for good Powder for learning

Question

Hi

I am looking for recommendations for good deep snow powder but not back-country in Japan. We are very skilled on-piste skiers but are not used to powder and trees.

Hence it should be 1) reasonably steep (not too steep). 2) Not too many treas which get you scared 3) reasonably safe (like controlled gates). For example, I have tested Niseko in 2019. The gate concept made it easier to understand the risk. Also,  the open areas were great to practice without always focusing on the trees.

I have narrowed down; 

1) Lotte Arai has a bowl and many runs where trees are spaced out a lot, but how much does one need to hike for the Bowl?

2) Hakuba Cortina. But is there enough open space? Or struggle in the tree runs?

The reason for not going back to Niseko is the overcrowded situation. Your ideas would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

15 answers to this question

I like Cortina. But so do lots of other people and it isn't massive.

Have you considered Nozawa. Still a popular place but bigger.

Not many gate systems in Japan like the one in Niseko, but there is often plenty of powder in peak season - so really many places will probably make you happy.

Cortina seems to suffer from crowed. Everywhere do blogs and posts complain that Cortina gets crowded if there is fresh powder. Therefore I am more interested in the next door area Tsugakei Kogen. But in general, I am worried that the self-responsible area is difficult due to narrowly spaced trees. Anyone with experience?

I looked at the piste map for Nozawa. The self-responsible area is very tiny at the upper level of the resort. Or did I misinterpret the map?

Somebody with experience with Lotte Arai?

There's a lot of places to enjoy in Nozawa.

Get friendly with a local or lodge owner who might take you to the right places. 

Arai - you got lots of cash?   ;)

OK. Thanks. Good to know. Only that the problem is time. I would unfortunately not count on luck and getting help from the lodge. They are probably busy during high season taking care of guests.

Lotte Arai lift tickets are 4500 JPY per day. That is OK. Accommodation is reasonable down close to the train stations. Up in the resort is of course pricy. But the subalpine area looks very good for learning when looking at pictures. However, would be good to hear from people actually being there.

10 hours ago, s5804 said:

Lotte Arai lift tickets are 4500 JPY per day. That is OK.

They're not, though.

Last season they were 6000 yen for a day.

And I heard they may be higher this year (?)

https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/niigata/myoko/lotte-arai-resort

Edited by muikabochi

And apparently they wanted the 1 day lift ticket originally to be 10,000 yen.

Madness!

Well, yes that is off course a pity that they try to charge so much for basically sub-standard lifts compared to the Alps. Not even heated chair lifts ;-). But the flight is 120.000 Yen. Therefor 2000 Yen extra per day per person is probably worth it if the sub Alpine area is great to learn power.

Also, I am looking into Suginohara Resort. Someone has experience how it is in the top lift area?

There are other areas in Hokkaido that might well be suited to you.

When you went to Niseko, did you take a trip to Kiroro or Rusutsu?  They are also increasingly popular, though not at Niseko levels. And other areas of the island such as the central Furano / Tomamu areas?

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, iiyamadude said:

It is lovely.    ;)

Hi. Please would it be possible to describe in what way it is lovely? Thank you. 

On 7/24/2019 at 5:37 AM, Hokkaidough said:

There are other areas in Hokkaido that might well be suited to you.

When you went to Niseko, did you take a trip to Kiroro or Rusutsu?  They are also increasingly popular, though not at Niseko levels. And other areas of the island such as the central Furano / Tomamu areas?

Yes, I also visited Rusutsu, but we had no powder that day. Therefore I have no experience how the tree runs are in terms of steepness and how spaced out the trees are.

Would you be able to help to suggest areas good for power with wide spaced out trees? Thank you. 

Hi

feel free to add ideas on easier powder areas. Not so steep, wide space between the trees, or even better maybe only few bushes. 

Any suggestion are welcome in order for me to get ideas and check them out.

This winter I tried Appi which was border line narrow trees for my level. Geto (Rabbit run) was way to narrow. Unfortunately Arai only had Happy place barely open during Christmas, which would be an example of a perfect beginner area.

Suggestions welcome!

Well on a normal year, which this one certainly isn't, I would have said Madarao. It has open slopes, tree areas, various terrain. The slopes vary from quite flat to quite steep, some are wide and open others are narrow. There are also some nice slopes that are in the trees but are wide. Several narrow tree runs too. While it is not a huge place, it is more than enough for a day, in fact you will be hard pushed to do every part of it in one day.

I have been there a few times, it is so far my favourite ski jo in Japan and I have been to a lot. It usually has really good snow and tons of it, (Just not this year).

No matter what your level or ability, you can enjoy Madarao.

Thank you Snowdude for your suggestion. I have studied the Madarao map and found they have many off pise areas. Nice. Do you remember the name on the runs with as much wide space as possible between the trees? Also, I have seen videos from Powder wave I and Powder wave II. But the resort consider them for experts. So what is easier? Thx