SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
MushiMushi

Ski/snowboard rental gear experiences

Question

I'm curious about peoples experiences with rental gear both in Japan and overseas.

It seems pretty expensive and if you plan on skiing much you are pretty quickly better off buying your own. Though I can see how many people want to rent at first.

But what about quality? From what I have seen equipment ranges from 'looks like it's from the 70's' to brand new stuff.

And what happens to old (and.... what is old?) rental gear?

11 answers to this question

It probably makes sense to buy if you are going to ski more than a handful of times.

Can't believe how much some people seem to be paying on rental!  And some of the gear that is given out is really out of date. I think the main shops at the popular resorts though offer new gear and sometimes they let you swap gear during the day as well which is an interesting idea. Let's you try a few different styles.

• Like 1

It isn't cheap but as it is our first time and we don't know how we will like it, we will be renting.

Hopefully we'll love it and then look forward to buying some nice gear.

I think lots of mass school trip students get some rather old equipment.

I remember seeing groups in Shiga Kogen; all with the same skis that apparently were from the 80s.

Actually, those groups kind of annoyed me the last time I went to Shiga Kogen. It was like they completely took over that middle Ichinose area.

It depends on what kind of gear you need.

• Normally they have only soft boots and soft skies. For example, in Naebma they only have boots with flex index 50 and 70. Really! 70 was the hardest boot! Flex index 70 is so soft boots that it is dangerous for a better skier and yep I almost cut my Achilles due to the lack of boot support.
  • Skis are often similarly soft. But in Appi and Zao I found reasonably hard skies; Race Tiger or Fischer world cup. But not in Niseko, Naeba, Geto Kogen.

Therefore I brought my own skis from Europe. For 300-450 Euro you get really nice Head iSL in Germany online. Break-even in Japan is about 6-8 days rental (if you are lucky to get good rental skis)

I would always bring my own skis from now on unless you know the rental shop and that they can really help you with the gear you need.

Edited by s5804

I feel there are less of the 'by the side of the road' places than there used to be.

And also, there's more high quality gear available to rent... at a price of course. And especially in the inbound boom places (Niseko, Hakuba, etc).

Some of the cheaper almost retro like stuff on offer is kind of amusing.

Then again > do you need the latest gear if you are a complete beginner? 

I have seen more than a few old skis used to hold trees in position in the winter and that kind of thing. Nice and sturdy!

They are good for protecting trees against violent typhoons as well as props for winter.