SnowJapan Community
David McVitie

Consumption tax increase (and Niseko lift ticket prices)

Question

I read with interested this entry on the blog

https://www.snowjapan.com/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/450-about-the-upcoming-consumption-tax-increase/

Wow those prices at Niseko!  They are almost double lots of other individual skijo. Good for them to be able to rake in that kind of money I suppose.

But I hope we don't see massive increases this year...

12 answers to this question

Those prices are nuts. Though that’s the all-mountain ticket, right?  Looks like the individual area tickets are lower, if still high by typical standards.  I wonder how many people actually spring for the all-mountain ticket?  (Never been there — is it actually useful?)

Good point there Metabo Oyaji - we will edit it to make it very clear that those prices are for the all-mountain Niseko United ticket.

(Edited: done that!)

When we looked the other day the individual prices for 19/20 weren't up yet... but we'll add those in later too.

Not wanting to lose out, I bet Lotte Arai will be looking to increase their already silly prices by about 40%! 

(Cue Dr Evil little finger to side of mouth gesture)

Like last time prices will probably go up more than the actual increase in consumption tax.

I am recently also noticing more things like only 900ml of juice in what was once a 1000m carton - same carton size, same price, 10% less juice. Annoying!

There's been enormous stealth price inflation in Japan in recent years, as Veronica says. For almost any commodity, there's less in the package at the same old price. 
To respond to Metabo, it all depends on the weather. If the top lifts are open, the all-mountain pass is definitely worthwhile; but when the tops are closed, there's really no point to it. 

I'd be interested to hear more from anyone who's been to Arai since it reopened (have read the three reviews), especially from the 18-19 season re conditions, operations (lift closures common?), prices on lifts, hotel, meals, etc.

I was planning on going but came down with a cold... friends went though. They were pretty annoyed with it saying it was just unrealistically expensive and they actually had lifts not moving on the day they went even though the weather was good. They really did not come out of it with much positive to say aside from the new facilities. One thing they did say is that it probably isn't meant for mortals like them. It's more for rich set / families. But that doesn't jive great with the powder hunters message.

Hate it when quantity is reduced as a way of increasing prices without actually increasing them.

Favourite restaurants cutting sizes is particularly annoying. I'd rather they put the price up, or gave us the choice of a larger size.

:grandpa:

Edited by oblivion