SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
Freddyrick

Is Nagano city a good place to stay...

Question

...if you want to ski in Hakuba, Nozawa, Shiga Kogen, Myoko. It seems to be kind of in the middle of all those places geographically. 

We're keen in checking out the city too.

It's either that or staying in perhaps two of those ski towns. Wondering if Nagano might be cheaper, though there's transportation to take into account as well. But we might get a rental car.

So many questions. Fun thinking about it though!

Thanks for any feedback.

8 answers to this question

A lot depends on how long a trip you're planning, how many people. Few possible itineraries:

Bus to Hakuba to ski four days; p.m. bus to Nagano to stay two nights spending a rest day sightseeing; bus to Nozawa to ski three/four days

Bus to Hakuba to ski four days; p.m. bus to Nagano to stay two nights spending a rest day sightseeing; bus to Shiga Kogen to ski three/four days

Bus to Hakuba to ski four days; p.m. bus to Nagano to stay two nights spending a rest day sightseeing; bus to Nozawa to ski three/four days

Bus to Hakuba to ski four days; scenic local train to Japan Sea coast at Itoigawa, switch to shinkansen to Joetsu Myoko to ski Myoko Kogen three/four days

Bus to Hakuba to ski four days; scenic local train to Japan Sea coast at Itoigawa, switch to shinkansen to Iiyama to ski Nozawa three/four days

Rent car, drive to Hakuba to ski three days; take scenic drive to Myoko via local road to Itoigawa, expressway to Myoko Kogen to ski two days; easy drive to Nozawa two more

Rent car, drive to Hakuba to ski three days; return to Nagano to stay two nights spending a rest day sightseeing; easy drives to Shiga, Nozawa, Myoko for two days each

I would suggest car for three or more people, but only if you have experience driving icy, mountainous roads in blizzard conditions

Personally I'd stay in Hakuba for Hakuba and then maybe Myoko for the others.

And maybe spend a day or two in Nagano at either end or in the middle.

Or something like that.

Thanks folks.    :)

Want to check out Hakuba but thinking we'll spend more time on the other side of Nagano.

We're thinking that car rental is probably the way to go. Still lots of thinking to do, but lots of time too.

You might well get a place to stay that is a bit cheaper in Nagano (actually not sure about that), but it means you need to drive or be driven to the snow.

Even if it's just an hour or so, I personally much prefer to get up and be out on the snow within 5-10 minutes. Preferably in less than 5 minutes!   ;)

• Like 1

I would suggest choosing two bases, close to lifts, and splitting your time between them. If you wish to visit Nagano city, do that at the beginning/end/in the middle.

I like not having to drive 45 minutes to get to the ski lifts in a morning.

I quite like Obuse and Nagano city too when it's not too crowded.  Can't remember what they were called but one of the local foods that it is know for was really good.