SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
SnowKobe

Niseko on a budget is possible

Question

Not a question, but perhaps useful info for some. Our style of travel is not the easiest for non-Japanese speakers, as it requires a bit of effort and navigation of Japanese websites.

Four of us took a family trip to Niseko in March. We probably spent between 300,000 and 350,000 for 6 nights (5 days of skiing).

80,000 for 4 roundtrip on Skymark Kobe-Chitose-Kobe (great price booked 2 months in advance)

160,000 for 2BR, 63sqm in Upper Niseko Village (40% off regular as it is near end of peak season)

15,000 for 7 day rental smallish car with ski rack. Bit of a squeeze after we hit Costco, but not too bad.

After spending 8,000yen for our first lunch at a resort cafeteria, we decided eating at home or leaving food in the car made a lot more sense. We did eat out twice in Kutchan, spending about 10,000-12,000 each time for the 4 of us (no booze).

The Costco between Chitose and Niseko is where we stocked up on a lot of food for the week, but the supermarkets in Kutchan are also good options. This is where having a car really paid off.

Lift ticket averaged 4,000/day by buying them via Yahoo Auctions. All single resort passes. Younger son is under 16, so we bought him a ticket at the counter. Some days my wife and I would take turns sharing a single all-day lift ticket, since neither of us want to ski 8 hours a day for 5 days.

We brought our own equipment.

7 answers to this question

Just wondering where you rented a car for Y15,000 for seven days, or was that a typo and should've been Y150,000 (which, in contrast, seems very expensive)?

The condo sounds like a good deal.

Niseko on a budget is possible.......... but a big budget certainly helps!!!   ;)

Interesting run down of how to try to keep it sane though.

Yes car rental is a curious one.

But it is good to hear that Niseko is still kind of possibly without large sums of money.

I think it is definitely much more of a difficult task now than it was 10, 20 years ago.

Hi. They have shared rooms with shared bath in Grand Hirafu. If you fill the whole room with 4 persons. Bingo, it's your private room. Check on Booking or Agoda.

Lunch in Hirafu at the top of the mountain (King Bell hut) was 1.200 Yen for a Japanese hamburgu with rice. Ramen was approx 1000 Yen Water free.

Hirafu Ramen shop on the main street had Ramen-setto for 980 Yen. 

Times rental car is very cheap from the airport, way in advance. The shuttle bus is about 3600 yen return also reserve in advance.

You can cope up there, but it's much easier to 'cope' in almost all other regions of Japan.

I got the impression last season when I was there that many folk were there to just spend large amounts of money on posh accommodation, posh food and soak all that in.

And actually that is fine with me because if everyone there got up for the first lifts and were full on gnarly, the slopes would be even busier than they are.

I love Niseko but I loved it more when I first went 10 years ago.

Edited by Nisekubawa
  • Like 1