SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
Migglesbud

Advice about Kagura (for beginners)

Question

Hi

Would you advise against taking a beginner to Kagura in Yuzawa?

(Especially in the next week or two in this last season?)

Thanks

11 answers to this question

Hi Migglesbud

If you want them to remain your friend, I would say --- don't do it!

Even in fluffy fresh snow Kagura is not a place for beginners. With the current late spring conditions.... definitely advise against it.

Shibu Toge at Shiga Kogen might be ok.  Or even Gassan.  They’ll need to bring their own equipment, though.

Let me add that if by beginner, you mean they have never put on skis or board before, you should wait until next season. If they can at least do the snowplow or the boarder equivalent thereof, then the above places might be options.

Closed at last.

Very interested to see the photos from Metabo Oyaji on the last Yuzawa Now report.

With things seemingly drying up in mid February, it's like... how the heck did that happen!?!   :lol:

Definitely been a strange season. Spring skiing came early, and stayed late.  I happen to like spring skiing, so no complaints from me!

Hi Metabo Oyaji!

I'm curious as to why do you like spring skiing so much?

I know that when I lived near the slopes I always told myself that I would do lots of spring skiing, but somehow I never ended up doing so. My seasons usually dried up come March. I just didn't like spring snow conditions, unless they were fresh and fluffy!

4 hours ago, muikabochi said:

Hi Metabo Oyaji!

I'm curious as to why do you like spring skiing so much?

Moguls. Which I honestly suck pretty badly at, but I’m addicted to the challenge.

I actually find deep fluffy powder can get a bit old after a couple of hours (though maybe that is partly because I don’t have specialty fat skis to get the most out of it), but a nice set of bumps (not TOO tight) can keep me amused all day long.  Also, with fresh powder, it is always a bit of a desperate race to grab that next untouched line before someone else does. Moguls I find to be a more relaxed, collaborative endeavor — the more people who partake, the more bumps there are for everyone to enjoy, and the more opportunities there are to learn by watching others.

But heck, in the end, I’ll ski anything!

Moguls!!!!

I tend to try and stay as far away from them as possible!

I never give them a chance to be something I might end up liking. Did you get to like them gradually?

As a kid I remember standing at the top of a steep mogul course, wondering how I was going to get down without breaking my neck, and amazed at the adults who seemed to bounce so effortlessly down it.  I sort of thought that being able to handle and even enjoy moguls was the mark of a grown up skier.  

A few years ago, I realized I wasn’t going to get any more grown up, so it was time to try to see what the attraction was.  After beating my head against the wall for a while, I managed to make it down a few bumps unscathed, and discovered that the feeling of actually managing to hit the spacing and rhythm just right was an unbeatable thrill, like dancing on the snow.  From then I was hooked.

Of course I still suck at it, but just can’t quit.

Kagura in the spring is a good place to try to get into it if you’re interested in trying, due to the large variety of moguls available, from easy to hard.  Gassan, too, for that matter.