SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spectralskier

A trip to Hakuba and Nozawa

Question

We are thinking of doing 10 days in Nagano in January.

We want to stay in Hakuba and Nozawa but can't quite decide on how to split it up - half/half or a bit more in one place than another.

Keen to hear any thoughts on that!

7 answers to this question

So many options!

Personally as much as I love Nozawa, I'd only spend 2 days there and also check out Myoko while you are in that region. Or perhaps Madarao. Or perhaps Shiga Kogen. Like I said, so many choices and you'd have to decide the best place in that region to be based.

I'd say Hakuba is good for 4 days though, checking out different areas.

They're all good. Can't you do 3 weeks?  ;)

What kind of experience are you looking for?  That might help.

Thanks nagoid.  I thought I might be a bit vague to keep it open!

Three of us - all probably best described as intermediate skill skiers. Enjoy a bit of side-country but not full on back just yet.

We like variation rather than spending an extended amount of time in one place.

3 weeks..........  I wish!       :lol:

Just in terms of ski-jo this is probably what I would be likely to choose.

Based in Hakuba: one day each at Goryu/47, Happo and Cortina or Tsugaike.

Based in Nozawa or perhaps Myoko: one day at Nozawa, one day at Myoko Akakura/Kanko, one day at Suginohara.

And perhaps try to get to Shiga Kogen too, which I think really needs at least two days.

Any extra depending on the weather.  :)

Oh so much to choose from!

Perhaps importantly, all this is with a car. Will you be driving or relying on public transport?

We spent 6 days in Hakuba. We loved it. Could have spent another few weeks there.

Went over for just 2 days in Nozawa and liked that too, but we were pleased we spent more time in Hakuba.

As others have said, there's just so much choice. Blows the mind!

Car or not is a big deal I think Spectralskier, especially if you plan on being in Nozawa and want to check out the other great places nearby (Myoko/Madarao/etc)

This last season we stayed 4 days in Nozawa and then went over to Hakuba for 7 nights after a day in Nagano.

We spent one of the days in Nozawa to go over to Madarao.

Obviously we wanted to spend more time in both areas, as you do, but all in all it felt just about right.