SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
BackBack

Arai - any busier during the 18/19 season?

Question

I used to go to Arai (in Niigata, to the north of Myoko) a bit way back when.

Last season my friend went to the newly re-opened Arai and said that while the facilities were impressive and all brand new, it was very very quiet.

Anyone get there this last season?  I wonder how much of a success they can make of it.

Will be trying to go myself next winter.

Edited by BackBack

5 answers to this question

Did not get there myself but a good friend went twice.

Said it was similarly 'quiet'. He was pleased about that - more powder for him.

Can't help but think it is just too expensive for lots of folk. Are there enough rich folk choosing Arai for it to do well?

Thanks sanjo

Their prices do seem to be way beyond most ski resorts here. Thing that gets me is the curious mix of 'back country' and 'family'. It's not a clear message, or so it seems to me anyway.

I think there are plenty of rich folk around looking for a ski holiday in Japan.

Whether Arai can tempt them from Niseko and all the other places looking for their $ is another matter.

From what I hear, even though Arai is part of Myoko city, they keep themselves to themselves and operate within their own kind of bubble.

A curious tale, that of Arai. Would love to know more about it all.

I went in February, but unfortunately not on a fresh snow day.

It was quiet.

Want to go back when there's deep conditions.