When I do a heel side turn or traversing on my heels, my toes get shoved pretty hard into the front of my boots.

Also, when I stand without a lot of flexing of my knees or leaning my shins into the front of my boot, my toes again squash into the boot. In fact, just standing in the lift line hurts my toes. The only time my toes don't hurt is when I am turning front side and my heel pulls into the back of the boot.

By the end of the day my toes really hurt. Is this normal for snowboarding or are these boots to small?

boots are too small.

I had that happend a couple of years back. Riding about 1-2 times a week. My big toe hurts after riding :p Ended up "air" or whatever got into the nails, and blood clot there....hhaha I had 2 purple big toes for 1/2 a year until the nails grew out!!!

Something about damaging the nailbed my doctor saids... something 1/2 a size bigger would do it

thought so.

It is so uncomfortable that I have ended up riding with my toes curled.

I wonder what the second hand market for used (4 times)boots is like? Not good I suspect.

cheers

Have a look inside your inners of your boots to see if there are any footbeds/inner soles inside. If there are, take them out, and possibly replace them with thinner/better ones.

My boots feel much better now after switching from the standard ones to Conformables.

Get them too small and your feet hurt. Get them too big and the rest of you hurts.

Deebs, when I've tried boots on in Japan, I've come within seconds of buying something too small and a pair of scissors to cut the ends off the inners. (I bet it works OK too - go on, give it a try and report back now.)

After foolishly buying boots too small for me 'cause I was stupid (actually the excuses I used at the time were: 'in a hurry', 'look good', and 'although too small by numbers, they feel real good!'). I think can honestly say that I know what foot-binding feels like.

I took the footbeds totally out of the boots and found it helped a little, but they were really still too small. I used to come back from a day out hobbling and one day at the end of the season my feet continued to hurt even the next day while wearing sandshoes.

This season I've finally retailiated against my Scottish heritage, and lashed out to buy some 29cm Dee-luxe custom fit boots and custom molded footbeds (the last were 27.5cm Salomon Dialogue, probably to show up real cheap in the classifieds soon).

Although I'll be walking around looking like either Judge Dredd or Robocop (depending on which friend I listen to), they fit like they were made for me... \:D

I think that boots last for a number of seasons, and can greatly determine whether you enjoy the day or not, so they're too important to muck around with. Get boots that fit.

Brodie.

Yeah no worries ocean I will get right at it! If I cant sell these second hand I will probably give it a go with the scissors.

I am a little peeved. Last w/e was teh first full 2 days of riding. Run after run with very little breaks. By the end my toes were mutilated (at least they felt that way). It would have been less painful to have chopped the end of my toes off to improve the fit.

HOW TO FIX THE TOE PROBLEM

This happened to me, and I figured out a way to make my boots fit. This method will let you buy boots a half-size smaller than ususal, so you can ride narrower boards with no toe-heel drag.

Take your boot liners out and bring them to a ski tuning shop with one of those big ol' grinder machines. Slip the guy working the machine a few bills and have him grind the toe area of the boot liners so it is very thin, almost down to the neoprene material inside the liner. Put the liners back in your boots.

Your toes will now be able to stretch freely inside your boots, while the rest of the boot fits the same as before. Enjoy!

I had thought of a technique like that already. Will the reduced insulation give me a cold toe? I am tempted to give something like that a go, but if it doesn't work, I can't sell the boots.

If you're getting boots that are too small because of drag, try getting the Palmer baseplates instead. I got them to compensate for horribly soft boots and they give much more responsive edging. But they also lift your feet off the deck which would be good if you have big feet too, as they would prevent drag.

looking at my inners again I doubt the angle grinder will work. It would cut the stitching in the inner which runs length ways along the base of teh foot then up over the toe and up the top of the foot.

hey deebs,

sorry to hear about ya boot troubles. I'm in agreement with what the other dudes r saying - it"s prolly ure boots r too small and there's still a chance for them to pack out a bit.

Here's sumthing u can try to speed up the packing out process. Grab a hairdryer and stick it into the liner and heat up ya boots for about 10 minutes each, put them on and walk around the house for a while. Repeat this a few times over a week or so and see how u go. The only other thing i can suggest is to "go ask mark" the tech guru cos he might have an alternative solution. I'll private message u the addy cos i don't think the snowjapan guys will appreciate it if i post up a rival site's url. Good luck! hopefully u won't need to feed the man sum more by buying a new pair of boots.

l8r sk8r