SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
Malteser

Gassan - worth a shufty?

Question

Hi

Anyone here been to Gassan the late spring or early summer? I think it's open until late July usually. Though who knows with this year!

Wondering if it is worth a trip? I suppose I could go check our Zao (obviously not for the snow) at the same time.

12 answers to this question

I like it. Here are a couple of my trip reports from the old forum:

Not for powderhounds, obviously, but a really fun and laid-back atmosphere if you are into what they do offer.  I’ve been again since then, and would like to go again some time.

12 hours ago, Malteser said:

Thanks for that, very interesting.

Do you live fairly close?

No, I don’t.  I’ve done it as a long day trip, but would recommend staying somewhere near-by if possible.  There are some pensions at the base of the ski area, and also some at a little onsen town a few km down the road from it.  If you are pairing it with an out-of-season visit to Zao, Yamagata City is a pretty convenient place to stay.

I agree with Metabo Oyaji - it can be fun, but go knowing generally what to expect.

I have just enjoyed escaping heat as much as anything when I have been!

M O Thanks for all those wonderful pics. Natsukashiiiii ! Glad that you persuaded the skiers to dress up retro style! Cafeteria? Pension Mura? but I do remember the moguls....designed to clean all the crud off your bases, your boots, and your pants. Come to Gassan and learn to water ski!

Malteser, now you know....just one lift and no grooming! It's one of Yamagata's 3 holy mountains.....check out Hagurosan, another of the holy ones, if the steps are not still covered with snow, about 2,500 of them! Are you thinking of visiting Zao because of its skiing connections or its onsen? If the former and the weather permits, take the Ropeway (from Yokokura, not Chuo) and connecting Gondola (Funitel) to the top and you'll have some idea of the layout of the pistes. From the top you can see Gassan and in very good weather Chokaisan on the Akita/Yamagata border which means there will be snow/rain the following day......guaranteed!

Never been to Hagurosan in winter, but spent a good few days there one summer. I really like Yamagata.

I went up there a few years back in... I think it was late June.

It was a fun day though I wouldn't take new gear!

Different mindset required to winter season of course.

And as someone else mentioned, Zao is a good place to visit any time of the year.

A friend mentioned to me that there's less snow than usual up there this season. Which seems entirely reasonable considering there's less than usual in nearby areas, including Zao.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:45 AM, ILoveZao said:

A friend mentioned to me that there's less snow than usual up there this season. Which seems entirely reasonable considering there's less than usual in nearby areas, including Zao.

Was up there today, and they actually seem to have pretty reasonable coverage for this time of year. Can still ski top to bottom — looks like they will make it to the scheduled change of lift to summer mode this week no problem.  I have been there in the past when they did not make it this far and had to do the lift change-over early.

Also noticed they have added a 令和の鐘 to the Gassan sign at the top of the lift. :) One can gong the bell with a hammer for ski safety.

I am impressed at your dedication to the cause, Metabo Oyaji!!

Are you done yet or will you go again?

A friend of mine was up there a few weeks ago and they thought it was a worth the trip.

Bit of a novelty and said they wouldn't do it again but a good experience.

You are doing very well Metabo Oyaji!