SnowJapan Community
Hercolobus

Tire requirements after north Kannetsu Exit

Question

Greetings, I am planning to go to Naeba tomorrow, March 1st in the evening, and return back on March 3 also in the evening. I plan to take the Kanetsu Expressway and then the Tsukiono by-pass, (hwy 17 or Mikuni Hwy), until I get to Naeba. My concern is the requirement to have chains at the North exit of the Kannetsu Tunnel, and when the road elevation increases by Lake Ayase into Naeba. Today is raining here in Tokyo. Please let me know how it was at night for those who travelled today during the rain. If it is not a snowy day, do they still require chains at the tunnel exit? Not sure what the weather will be like for Friday but I want to have an idea of what is like now and tonight. I have regular tires and because of almost end of Winter, I am having a hard time finding chains. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Hello Hercolobus

With very little snow over the last week and generally mild conditions, I very seriously doubt that there will be any need for snow tires or any checking going on.

There was some light snow falling up at Naeba this morning but that didn't seem to last long and it might even rain a bit today.

If you hadn't already, you can read daily reports here:

https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports/Naeba-Now

https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports/Yuzawa-Now

Might not be powder, but have fun!

You won't be needing snow tires.

Unfortunately.

Thanks Mina and Muikabochi. I just do not want to get a surprise change in weather and get stuck. Looking at the report it seems

to be ok. I wonder if there is a live cam after the Kannetsu exit, or any reports from travelers. To Snowjapan staff: Thank you so much for

such a great website and the benefit it provides to us via this Forum. If you have any updates, please post a reply, I will be checking them. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

The early snow dried up. I was just in Yuzawa town where it is just cloudy and the temperature notice board at the side of the road said +5C. It will be a bit colder than that up towards Naeba, but there's no snow to worry about.

18 minutes ago, SnowJapan#David said:

You're welcome.

The early snow dried up. I was just in Yuzawa town where it is just cloudy and the temperature notice board at the side of the road said +5C. It will be a bit colder than that up towards Naeba, but there's no snow to worry about.

Thanks David. It is tomorrow evening like 7 PM departure and arrival around 10PM that we plan on. Now I have to worry about Kannetsu exit and weather in the mountains.

We are expecting mild conditions tomorrow. Cloudy, maybe sun.

Check the Now reports tomorrow morning for the latest.

5 hours ago, SnowJapan#David said:

We are expecting mild conditions tomorrow. Cloudy, maybe sun.

Check the Now reports tomorrow morning for the latest.

Excellent! Thanks.