SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
Toby.Bee

Do you reckon we'll get another blast of winter?

Question

We're visiting Japan in March. I was hoping to go snowboarding but it's looking like spring has arrived early and not sure if I'm still as stoked. I have looked back at previous daily reports and sometimes there is some good snow in March, but what do you think?  Obviously no-one knows how it'll pan out but I just wanted to ask and get some feedback. Frustration perhaps.

11 answers to this question

Right now it sure doesn't feel like it! But we can hope.

Still get yourself in a 'spring ski' mindset and it can be a lot of fun. I think the biggest concern is if ski jo might have to close early if this spring continues.

Niseko was having a proper good run of until until this last week or so.

I sure hope we have more snow, otherwise spring will seem ridiculously long this year.

I'm impressed with the consistency of snow up there in Niseko. Or is it Nisoko? ;)

March has in the past delivered some 'March Madness'. There doesn't seem much cause optimism for it this time though.

Are spring seasons starting earlier in recent years, or am I just imagining it. It sure feels that way.

Especially in Niseko an early season trip is looking more of a safe bet than a later one.

Weather on the news last night was saying generally a 'warmer than normal' March is forecast for much of Japan.  Which is... frustrating.   :(

Here in Yamanashi last year we had quite a lot of snow in March and some great conditions. This year even the winter has been shit with very little snow.  It is an El Nino year and a powerful one so tends to be drier and milder when that happens.

Like was mentioned March and April too is likely to be warmer than usual.

Even so there is still enough snow to have plenty of fun with at least for another month or so, especially if you go to resorts that are at high elevations where the snow will be in better condition.

Come with a "its spring" mindset and enjoy the fine weather, nice scenary and you will have a blast.

Last season spring was earlier. Earlier still this year. It is a bit worrying.

I still wish I was living there!

It is good to see that snow is falling up in Naeba and Shiga Kogen this morning. I doubt it will amount to much though.

The blast happened!

I'm writing this from Kagura - lots of fresh snow.    :groovy:

Got to get to it now.

I have been to Hakuba 6 times this season.

Yesterday was easily the best of those 6 times!!!

The others have ranged from very disappointing to fairly decent.

:thumbsup: