SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
I-barry-agi

Ski hills not opening on some days (eg Nekoma, Urabandai)

Question

I noticed on the Aizu Bandai Now report that some of the ski hills around there are not open every day.

Is there any particular reason for that?  Is it just simply that they have usually not been busy on some days so they decided not to open? Or perhaps some other reason?

Cheers.

Nekoma - closed on Wednesday and Thursdays
Urabandai - closed on Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays
Family Bandai Bandai - only open on weekends

5 answers to this question

Don’t know for sure without asking the ski area owners, but would guess that they don’t get enough customers on those weekdays to justify opening.  I was at Nekoma last Sunday, which was a good powder day (though not great visibility), and there was a reasonable number of people there, but it was not crowded by any means.  If that is the best they can do on a weekend, I imagine weekdays are pretty slow.  (Interestingly, a large fraction — maybe 5-10%? — of their customers seemed to be Westerners, which I’d never seen before.)  Also, being in Urabandai, they are that much harder to get to than places on the front side on Bandai-san, so they probably lose out to places like Alts and Inawashiro during peak season.

But generally, there aren’t that many customers on weekdays, so unless foreign tourists (who can ski on weekdays) ramp up, it is not too surprising if some places just don’t try to compete then.

Is this a new thing with those mentioned above, or have they been closing mid week for a while?

Would be a shame. Weekdays are so much better than weekends if you can get the time off.

The small Ishiuchi Hanaoka - close to Ishiuchi Maruyama - is a weekend only place. I think mainly because it's very much a parents and child tiny place.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:42 PM, Metabo Oyaji said:

(Interestingly, a large fraction — maybe 5-10%? — of their customers seemed to be Westerners, which I’d never seen before.)

That surprises me!

A few years ago when I went to Nekoma, I was probably the only non-Japanese there.

(* Note: Not a scientific study!)

1 hour ago, fukdane said:

That surprises me!

A few years ago when I went to Nekoma, I was probably the only non-Japanese there.

(* Note: Not a scientific study!)

Surprised me too!  Used to only see a handful of other Westerners in an entire season in that region.

By the way, I-barry-agi, the Aizu Now report notes that Nekoma is open every day from today. Now that the end of season is in view for the front-side Bandai resorts, I guess there is less competition for the Urabandai ones.  Nekoma is also setting up park features, presumably in preparation to take over for the rest of the season from their co-owned sibling Alts.