SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jbboy

Kagura: Mitsumata or Tashiro?

Question

Hi

I'm looking forward to going to Kagura in a few weeks for the first time.

Wondering where to start off Mitsumata or Tashiro and keen to hear any thoughts on that.

Thx

5 answers to this question

Ahh Kagura!  One of my go-to places.

Here's my thoughts on Mitsumata Ropeway vs Tashiro Ropeway as starting points for Kagura.

Mitsumata is more popular/busy, mostly I expect because it is closer to Yuzawa and so more convenient. There's not much to Mitsumata itself, so most people make their way over to Kagura using the Gondola.

Tashiro is further from Yuzawa town (and IC exit), but at the same time it is closer to Naeba. And I suppose some people might use Route 17 from Minakami to get there, though suspect most people just speed up to Yuzawa IC rather than use the windy road. Tashiro is a much wider area than Mitsumata and seems to be less busy. While I have always liked the snow up there when I go, the runs are generally a bit flat for my liking.

I usually just get myself to the main Kagura area via Mitsumata.

I really like Route 17 from Naeba to Minakami outside of winter. Not sure I'd be keen on that drive in mid-winter. It might be a bit more expensive but zooming up through the tunnel into Yuzawa is probably the choice of most people and then just going to Mitsumata Ropeway which is 10-15 mins away.

I wish Tashiro offered a bit more of a challenge, though there are a few runs closer to the main Kagura area that I have enjoyed over there.

As @tokyo said, I think most people use Mitsumata just as a way to get to and from Kagura. Actually, I don't know how busy those two slopes are in the middle of the day. Never really thought about that!

I prefer Tashiro. Probably because it is often not as busy. I wish some of the lifts were a bit faster, but...

I also prefer driving the extra 10 minutes to start from the Tashiro Ropeway.