It depends on your talent and determination.

For me, the answer to your question is "all my life".

I remember falling a lot on the first day, falling a few times on the second day and none on the third! But even though I seldom fall now, I'm still rubbish and will probably always be.

I have been boarding 4 times now. The improvement is vast, but i am certainly not competent, not even close. My first day was so bad that any improvement seemed like a lot. Day 4 compared to day 1 is very different. I still crash a lot, but I can do a full run without a crash and also do plenty of turns. But as soon as I stop concentrating I have a huge stack. Wear a helmet. I have cracked the back of my head a few times and I reckon each one would have put me out for the remainder of teh day had I not been protected. Also get elbow and knee pads (the soft ones with ventilation). They make a hell of a difference.

I probably crash worse than I would like as I am trying to do things that i suspect are a little beyond my reach. when I was a young enthusiastic surfer I had a rule that on every wave I had to try something I had never done before. i also had a rule that If I wasn't falling of every wave then I wasn't pushing myself. Every 3rd run or so on my snowboard I get all aggressive like I used to surfing and really try something new. By the end of day 4 I managed to pull off a 180 ollie (at least that is what I called it) after several attempts.

Avoid ice and moguls (even embryonic moguls). Also try and avoid the crowds. The runs turn into an obstacle course which makes life even harder. Getting stuck in moguls made me hate being on a snow board and wished I was skiing. I even began to think that a snow board was not a practical way to get down a mountain. The worst part is this: when you learn to ski you are taught the snow plow. It lets you control speed and direction and is not so tiring on your legs. When learning snowboarding, at least in my experience, you are not blessed with the snow plow. You are either standing and moving or on the snow holding your bum and saying "fark, that hurt!". I reckon the sooner you get the hang of controlling both speed and direction on a snowboard the better. I am still yet to discover this one. Other than sliding down the slope with your board at 90 degrees to the fall line I don't know what to do. The other frustration is that I don't know how (if at all) you can speed yourself up when on a flat-ish part of the slope. On skis you can skate and/or use your poles. On the board you need to stop, unstrap a foot and do the mutant skate. As for deciding to come to a stop on a steep slope to give your legs a break.... yet again as a beginner than requires you to sit/fall on you bruised bum. To be honest there were times last weekend when I was of the mind that boarding was fun when you were up and running and you were not catching an edge. But for the rest of the time I was envious of skiers and resented having this thing nailed to my feet and being unable to change my stance or foot position. I suspect that as with most things, once you master the small things, the big meaty bits of fun take care of themselves.

Also really start working on leg muscle strength. I have found that a lot of crashes have come from my legs just giving way. Snowboarding (for me) is way harder on my legs than skiing ever was. I have started running each night and also pretend I am sitting on a chair with my back against the wall and minus the chair. Make sure that the knees and hips are at right angles. I do this until my thighs go to jelly. You really just have to get those first two days out of the way. That is why I went up early, so I could get all the unknowns worked out and out of the way asap. Day one and two are a pain. It is an exercise in falling over and hurting. After that something clicks and you can concentrate on being a beginner and learning. In my opinion, on day 1 you are less than a beginner. You don't even learn anything, you just fall over

The way to speed yourself up on the flats is to bend over and walk with your hands. This is not dignified behaviour at all, and it probably makes skiers feel good about their chosen sport.

But it works.

I never had any grief with knees, elbows or bum. Just my head and my thumbs. What deebee says about about the first time out is true by the way. The second time though felt much more like boarding.

It took me about a month (6 or 7 times) before I started getting confident and (slightly) cocky about my progress. First time was a nightmare for me - my buddy took me to a place that was not good for beginners. Spend the day being angry cold and wet, a bad start. Go on a nice day, nice gentle slopes with a good patient teacher.

Rules for competency on a board:

#1, Define competent. Compared to a 1st dayer I’m competent, compared to Danny Kass I suck. Always aim one level higher than you want to be.

#2, get into the gym, and start doing squats and lunges, build up those legs.

#3, it will get easier

#4, take lessons, make sure they teach you the Alpine Code

#5 obey it

#6 see my sig

Here is the Alpine Code;

----

Know your ability.

Always stay in control.

Be able to stop and avoid other people or objects.

Take lessons from qualified professional instructors to learn and progress.

Do not stop where you obstruct a trail or run or are not visible from above.

When entering a trail or run or starting downhill, look uphill and give way to others.

Always use proper devices to prevent runaway equipment. Ensure you equipment is in good condition.

Avoid people ahead of you - they have right of way.

Observe all signs and warning.

Keep off closed trails or runs and out of closed areas.

Before using any lift you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.

Do not ski, snowboard, ride a chair or undertake any other alpine activity, if drugs or alcohol impairs your ability.

If you are involved in a collision or witness an accident, alert Ski Patrol, remain at the scene and identify your self to the Ski Patrol.

----

As you can see, it's a very pompously-named bit of common-sense, and not so common sense. Take for example "Before using any lift you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely." Well, you can assume most lifts are going to be simple enough. Of course, you're not going to find out that you simply are too uncoordinated to stick a T-bar up your jacksie and go grimacing up the hill till you've tried it.

I'd suggest that if your instructor starts in on this, you tell him to hurry up and get to the bit about ducking ropes safely.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

I'd suggest that if your instructor starts in on this, you tell him to hurry up and get to the bit about ducking ropes safely.
I think that there are some important bits that people don't know/obey.

Particularly:

1) Be able to stop and avoid other people or objects.
2) Do not stop where you obstruct a trail or run or are not visible from above.
3) When entering a trail or run or starting downhill, look uphill and give way to others.
4) Avoid people ahead of you - they have right of way.

A hell of a lot of incidents could be avoided if these 4 rules were stuck to.

Agreed Raury, but being a bright sort of chap myself, I don't really want to pay money to be told 'be careful'.

The fact that there is even such a thing as this fatuously named 'Alpine Code' just means some people think it might include a bit where it gives them the right of way, when clearly it doesn't (or not as clearly as it should perhaps).

Ok, i will admit that i'm a skier (which is not to say that i'm ashamed of it, but this thread seems to by a lot of boarders - not that i have anything against boarders, most of my friends board, but it seems that many boarders love to take the **** out of skiing). Whatever you are doing, whether it is skiing or boarding - get lessons. no matter how many people tell you that you don't need them, you'll be surprised how much easier it is when you are doing things properly - plus you'll avoid developing bad habits. You are never to good to take lessons, i know instructors that would still take them (higher level ones that is, with examiners and stuff) so never think that you're too good for anything. Plus we're in Japan, where humility is a favoured attribute!! \:D