Very good article, and timely too. Matt has clearly been doing some serious research into this topic (and I bet his immediate family, if he has any, have been intrigued by the bruising on his butt).

I'm just getting into the 'air' business now. Indeed, I plan to go and get some angle iron and a stout board at D2 this afternoon and make myself a ramp for Dirtsurfer practice airs. Any gains made here should be nicely repaid on the slopes.

Just to add a little, an ollie uses the board's flex. Bending down and jumping with both legs simultaneously is NOT an ollie and will not give you as much height. Lifting your front leg first loads up the tail off which you spring. It should all be one fluid movement.

during my recent day of experiments I discovered the spring/flex of the board when trying to do an ollie. I found that if I made my front leg stiff and straight and then sort of bent my back leg that the board would bend and lift the nose off the snow. In this position the tail of the board gave some spring and you could pop of the tail into the air (all of 3 inches mind you!). I don't know if this is the correct method 'cause it felt like my front leg was going to snap when forming the spring.

oooh, ollie off the front hey? I hadn't thought of that.

This is were the degree of board flex might come into play? (for ollie tricks in general).

I practiced ollies last night on the carpet. It scared the dog and probably woke the neighbours.