Anyone here ever taken a ski/board lesson in Japanese at a resort school in Japan (even though you can't speak Japanese so well). I'm curious as to whether it would be a complete embarrasing waste of time or not.

I took a half day lesson at hakuba happo-one last year. there were a few of us gaijins that day and luckily, one japanese girl who used to live in LA, so she translated most things for us. But it was pretty easy to follow the actions of the instructor and others in the class. if you can speak basic japanese, i think you'll be ok.

Theres always a chance you'll get a spineless non-dude who will cower from you, but in my limited experience your presence will light things up and make the whole thing fun for everyone there. A big ice-breaker for all.

People who dont speak japanese work as instructors in japan and teach japanese people skiing - It should be as easy the other way around

also ask around as if anyone travels (and learns some english) it is ski instructors. c.f. any NZ or OZ ski resort in our winter

When we first came here, my viv tried to join in a Japanese lesson but they wouldn't let her. They didn't say as much, but I think it was because she could understand very little Japanese. An unpleasant experience, that was.

kev

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by OzOzOz:

Skanky is?
[time for the crude male to surface]

dude, you know what skanky is! Cast your mind back to the last time you woke up in a strangers bed with a belting hangover and a blurry recollection of the last 12 hours. Chances are there was a naked female of sorts lying on your arm. You considered chewing through your upper arm to make good your escape without waking her. Picture her in your mind. That is skanky.

I took a few simple lessons early on without any problems - it was actually quite fun for me and for everyone else it seems. Like someone else said, it kinda broke the ice and got everyoe talking and laughing.