Hi

Wonder if you guys could help me out? I'm flying to Japan tomorrow for a 2 week snowboard trip to Hakuba. Can anyone tell me - is it possible to get cash from an ATM in Hakuba with a UK issued VISA debit/credit card, or over the counter as a cash advance at a local bank? Don't fancy carrying wads of cash up from Tokyo.

Cheers

My opinion:

cant't tell you about banking facilities in Hakuba. BUT, i can tell you that so far in this country I have found it always best to assume the worst and carry heaps of cash. The ATM network doesnt seem to be as integrated here in Japan (at least compared to Oz). You can't use bank A's card in bank B's machine all of the time. Also, not nearly as many places take credit cards when purchasing. ATM's shut in the early evening and sometimes all weekend. In the cases where your card might work it is often very hard to tell unless you cant read teh language (few ATM's are bi-lingual).

For a dopey foreigner like me, Citibank are the best cards to carry, they work in a large array of machines, but sometimes not at night or on w/e.

Finally, Post Offices with ATM's do take Visa. They are wired into the "Plus" and "PrimeClub" network. Look for the logos on the back of your card. Be warned - I am yet to get cash from a post office ATM using my Australian visa.

Also note - in some machines, if I put my card in as indicated by the diagram next to the slot, it won't work. If I put it in another way it sometimes works.

In short, unless you are boned up on good local knowledge about electronic banking and can read kanji then don't rely on ATM's in Japan.

I felt U=I needed to write a lot here as I was seriously burned by depending on the ATM network when I first arrived.

Most of my Japanese mates say that Japan is very cash based. Hey, people still use those little pass books here. You can even stick them into the ATM and it will print your updated balance and transaction!

andy, i have got cash every time from a post office ATM with my natwest visa card - don't worry!

remember though, you are going to get sooooo done over with interest, as there is extra charge for cash withdrawal and i think it's even more for foreign country withdrawal, and you're at the mercy of their exchange rate...

fruity

When I travel to Japan I always make sure I have lots of cash. Cards are welcome in some places, but it saves a lot of searching and hassle just to take cash.

When I try and use the Post office machines the money comes out of my bank account in NZ not of the visa - (i use the same card for both) It costs me $5NZ which is about 250en so its pretty cheap really - if only there was more money in my bank

sam - re-read my post.

Generally a bad idea. It may not be a problem but I wouldn't count on it. Just carry a big reserve wad of cash. There are not ATM's all over the joint live oz and most are in japanese.

Cant comment on TC's.

Don't get worried about it, just come prepared.

[i have not been where you are going so things may be different there. ask your operator that is providing the package].

Nat - I am yet to manage that one. My Visa has an 8 digit PIN. The ATM in the PO doesnt take 8 digit PIN's.

I rocked up in Japan with minimal cash having been told exactly what you just said (and it is fair advice too. I was stuck for dough for a day or two as a result.