deebee, next time you're feeling a stupid money-wasting urge coming on, drop me an e, and we'll work something out. For 24,000 yen, I would have driven you from Matsumoto to Hakuba, given you a nice snowboarding lesson, and driven you back to the station. If you had thrown in an extra 10,000 yen, I'da called you 'Sir' all day too. You complete berk.

getting along. Just a good solid beginner these days, but able to control what is going on enough to enjoy myself.

As per another post, weight on the front foot was a big turning point. I Concentrated on this last weekend and I was amazed (almost horrified) at the slopes that i could suddenly negotiate. I found myself running out of breath at the end of teh run not because I had been crashing and getting to my feet all the way down but because I was quite aggresivley carving all the way down. Note - I dont mean really carving, I mean carving in the beginners sense.

On my second day of boarding Mogski and Barok took me down a red run at H47 (from the top of the quad). I was having a hell of a time dealing with it and stacked, tearing my stomach muscle. I had to walk most of the way back down. Last weeknd I did the same run and didnt even flinch. I actually enjoyed it. Still had the odd stack, but the difference from the 2nd day was huge.

There you go, my usual verbos answer, no doubt full of "teh" rather than "the".

hey dude,

some runs are shockers that resemble my third day. Then other runs, in my opinion, really feel good and I get back on the lift pretty impressed with myself.

I have to get over edge catch paranoia. I hate going fast on a flat section, particularly a narrow and flat section. Unless I am able to zig-zag from edge to edge very quickly I am not comfortable. doing tight s-turns all the way down tends to keep me working the edges and concentrating on what each edge is doing. I like being busy like this as a busy edge is a happy edge.

I still can't handle ice and I don't enjoy speed on a packed base. More speed = more pain when you crash on hard snow. I tend to do more turns than most people I watch on hard snow to keep the speed down.

i have also given away the pursuit of ollies and 180's and all that trick stuff as they were just inviting edge catches.

There are some runs that are cut into the traverse of the slope so that one side has a steep wall of snow. They are really cool to 'surf' your way down.

At one stage over the last few days I decided that in crappy chopped up half moguled snow conditions I would rather be on skis. I think I was just having a bad morning.

My first time:

I was worried to tell you the truth, not good balance. I thought I might be in for a broken something.

But it turned out much better than that. Took it slowly, and managed to survive without injury!

Looking forward to many times in 2003.

Have a good 2003