zwelgen, have you got any recommendations for good eats around Nozawa?

We sometimes go to that winebar in the 'Plaza', but service is v-e-r-y slow, and sometimes they won't even let you in. The pizza and pasta log cabin on the main drag thru Iiyama is OK too. Know of anything else?

Ocean if you want nice italian food there is a place in Kijimadaira village. Instead of going across the red bridge just out of Nozawa and goin back to the expressway on the bypass road (117 I think) drive through Kijimadaira village on the Eastern side of the river. Youll get to a Lawsons on the left hand side of the road so do a u turn and head back to Nozawa and at the first set of lights after the lawsons go left, towards the river if that makes sense and its along there, log cabin type place. Really good pasta. oH its called "doyobi italian" yum yum.

Also on the main street of Iiyama (take a right of the bypass road at the big red bridge and then a left at the second set of lights) and there is a good ramen place along there.You cant miss it with the steaming bowl out the front, right hand side of the road. For other ramen there is a place on the same road as the log cabin place (surge). Its on the right hand side when heading out of town and looks pretty ave but tastes good.

The Gusto is ming as is the kappa sushi unless you want an ultra cheap and untasty meal.

Id recomend doyobi italian. THere are loads of soba/udon/japanese izakaya type places too but not what I usually want to eat post ski, dunno about you.

Well that's something to be getting on with, thanks. Pasta and a good beer is really the thing for after a day on the snow. Ramen's OK, but not quite stylish enough.

Cheers. I should check out Kijimadaira too.

I went to Gusto for the first time the other day, and although the food itself wasn't stellar, it tasted and looked nice enough, and was really cheap. Drank a skinful of coffee too for 120 yen, a price that can't easily be beat.

It's much better than some of the other chains.

I went to Yuzawa yesterday, and stayed overnight, came back today. The town was ok - quite a lot of restaurants and karaoke-bar you know the kind, but we couldn't find any decent bar-like places suited to us. Maybe we just didn't find them...