Quote:
Originally posted by neversummer:
side-to-side such as burton and switch .ie.toe/heel lift
with the switch bindings I ride I have ZERO heel and toe lift. I mean ZERO, my foot is absolutely and totally locked in there, the bindings are very rigid, (the piece locking you in is 5-6cm long and combined with a rigid sole on the boot, it absolutley cant lift its solid!) I couldnt get the toe or heel to lift if my life depended on it.
In fact its as tight as a ski binding. Once you are locked in you aint going anywhere.
The downside is the rigid boots are just that, its like walking around with ski boots on and they are heavy, but thats the trade off Im willing to pay.

I have seen Burton step ins , but they look like garbage. I havent ridden so cant comment on them
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE]

I have seen Burton step ins , but they look like garbage. I havent ridden so cant comment on them[/QB]

I can't wait to try out the garbage I just bought. Several friends have been enjoying their garbage for years, so I'm not in despair yet.

After trying out both Switch and Burton in the shops, I began to feel that Switch was overkill with all that metal hanging off the side, and that Burton have a more elegant solution. But we shall see...

oops no offence meant. havent really heard much about the Burtons. I saw them them in the shop and was a little suspicious of the plastic heel cup holding the heel in.....still, have ridden them so for all I know they could be sweet as your Nana.

The switch are very strong, yes a little juts out at the side, but its minimal.

good luck with your Burtons, let me know how they perform

Quote:
Originally posted by kamoshika:
so for all I know they could be sweet as your Nana.
Hey where are you from Kamoshika? Sounds like you must be a kiwi? Havent heard that phrase for a long long time \:\)

Yep I am from NZL, Christchurch of last. I was feeling a little nostelgic and thought I would pull out a local saying or two. Generally most people think I am a nutter when I use such language, but cool bananas, no wuzz mate....I used to say "sweet as" all the time, but now almost never....

as far as my boots go they are a brand called "flexible" model "axel" Had them 5years, really well built (Italian made) comfortable with rigid bases. ShowS8.asp?M=274799&F=i15106BDF-53FE-4E93-921C-B6DBC17376BB.jpg ShowS8.asp?M=274799&F=tA2BC93F0-4B3E-44E0-B245-A71071C4CBDD.jpg

No highbacks....but if you look at the back of the boot it has a strap and ratchet to pull your foot foward, and because the back of the boot has a hard plastic insert, very rigid, you cant bend you foot back at all, infact you could bend a highback on a regular binding more than this because a highback is not held back under tension like this is. when you walk you have to release the ratchet otherwise its as stiff as a skiboot to walk in.

And the bonus of no highbacks the board is virtually flat to carry around, easy to store and wedge in gap when catching a ride in someones car

The liner has 2 velcro tension straps to really hold you heel down, plus the outside ratchet to hold you heel down, theres no heel lift.

I just took another couple of photos to illustrate the ratchet tensioning, seriously you cant bend this back, it will bend foward but

if you grab the toe and the back and pull with all you might, it will move a couple of mm's only. there is no flex,

You have probably guessed that I really love these boots \:D and I do they are brilliant, I do remember they were ****** expensive at the time though. They dont make 'em like they used to....

I used to ride some Burton conventional bindngs pre '97 but after the switch to switch I have never looked back.

Switch now has the highbacks on their bindings but with this boot you dont need it.

Quote:
Originally posted by kamoshika:
havent really heard much about the Burtons. I saw them them in the shop and was a little suspicious of the plastic heel cup holding the heel in.....
oops sorry Oceans I made a mistake I was in a shop today and realised the bindings I was worried about was not the Burtons but the Shimano Rapidfire ones.
The plastic piece holding the heel just seems rather flimsy and looks like it would pop out on a heavy landing.
I confused them with the Burton SI. I played around with the Burton SI and they seemed pretty solid. How do they perform in the snow?, the seemed a little fiddly to undo, and I wondered how do they perform on the mountain while wearing gloves with snow around them?
  • 3 weeks later...

Aha, well can I suggest you have a look at my journals? Been mighty busy keeping them up to date.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/perso...0236014720e3abb

But if you're too lazy for that, the verdict is - they're great as long as you don't try to take them on and off in too much snow. As 'finesse' is my watch-word of the moment, I'm trying to avoid that sort of dicking about with bindings anyway.

I have the Burton Ion HD boots, and PSI bindings. As Ocean said - they are great on groomed, hard packed slopes but they suck in deep powder areas. In deep powder, they are hard to step into, and hard to get off if you're stuck in deep snow. I went to Hakkoda one day when it dumped lots the night before, and all during the day and they were a nightmare, especially on the flat parts of the forest run. Made the decision that day to buy Flow Pro-C FRs.

Still getting used to the Flows but they are much much easier to get into/out of in Powder/deep snow, and not much slower than the burtons to "step into" on groomed slopes. About the same stepping out, maybe even faster than the Burtons cause snow can clog the burton releases making it a pain sometimes.

I do love the control and response of the Burtons though.

When I went to the Flows, I also went to the Palmer PLS and between the two new systems, the response isn't as quick as the Burton PSIs. Still trying to get used to them - almost felt like I was learning to snowboard all over again.

Maybe I'll buy another board (free style maybe)and mount the Flow/PPLS to it for the powder/free style stuff, and use the Burton board/bindings for the groomed "I wanna go fast and carve" slopes...

p.s.

I'm new to this forum...been reading it for a while...feel free to check out my members page for more info about me and the wife...