any snow is good, but a nice smooth groomed run that is not icy would be best.

Steer clear of the powder until you have some kind of board skills otherwise you will spend ya day diggin out! and spoiling our freshies!!!

Icy runs and places with deep snow are good to avoid when learning.

Wet snow is forgiving when you bing and helps keeps your speed down.

But if you're learning on wet snow, then you'll need a steeper run to get enough speed up. Fear of speed and lack of speed can be a problem for complete beginners.

Good luck!

You spend a lot of time sitting on the snow when starting up as a boarder, so wet is not good. Slush doesn't hold an edge very well, so it might be hard to avoid other people, a major beginner concern.

Hypothetically speaking, a soft smooth groomer would be best. I think deebs has the right attitude though in that the best thing you can do (if finances allow it) is to get out and board as much as you can. You're not going to get better by waiting for the perfect day.

I started off on very icy snow near Lake Biwa and it wasn't that bad. I'm hardly god's gift to sports either.

Last Saturday at Goryu would have been perfect. The groomers were making an amazing squeaking noise as people went down them - like they were riding on polystyrene. That's because they were firm but giving, and very dry.

newtoallthis - heavy snow is bad for practice not only in terms of technique and learning to ride competently, but also coz it hurts bad when you fall on non-soft snow. Definitely hit the better snow