Fortunately, we have some really good ski-jo's (IMO) nearby - most less than 2 hours if the roads are decent, so days are easy for both sat and sunday.

My preference is to stay if possible but the yen adds up quick that way...so far this season, stayed over Christmas, New Years Eve, and another 3 day weekend in Jan.

Planning a "stay" trip over the Valentines day weekend - near Geto Kogen Friday night, board there on Sat, stay near Shizukuishi Sat night, board at Tazawako on Sunday, stay near Shizu again on Sunday, then board Shizu on Monday before the 2 hour drive home...

Hopefully the wind will be down cause Geto sucks when its windy...

Semi Onsen Barok, but only on Friday night as after boarding on Saturday (and going back to Semi for a good warm bath outside in the mixed rotanburo), we're heading towards Shizukuishi.

Are you planning on being at Geto that weekend?

not barrok - jared, but yes I'm there every weekend and some weekdays (its 30 mins from my house), and usually stop of at semi on the way home in the weekend.

we should hook up - jared.siem@japan.email.ne.jp

I'm sorry Jared - Obviously my brain was somewhere else but yes - I'd like to hook up that weekend.

This past Saturday (1st) was my first time at Geto. The wife and I stopped at Semi on the way home and liked it so we're planning on going back the 14th.

Geto was OK, but it was windy so the vis on top wasn't good, and the gondolas were slow - due to the wind I guess? I know that place would be awesome on a clear day with fresh powder. Wish they had a few places to get a little air too though.

During the winter, I wish I was only 30 minutes from the slopes.

But the snowboarding season is only about 4 months long, and I'm out on the lake riding/racing my jet skis the other 8 months. The lake is only 10 minutes from my house so I'm mostly glad I'm here and not near the slopes where I'd have to drive 2 hours to get to the lake April through November.

If I ever win the lottery though - I'll build my home in Okinawa, and have a "winter" house near the slopes...

See you soon,

Ray

definatley stay overs if time permits.

ive just gotten back from a day trip to hakuba from tokyo, and im knackered to say the least. a long bus ride after a full day of riding isnt a very wise choice. the buses are suprisingly full. the overnight bus was full except for maybe 1 or 2 seats in the back. the guy sitting next to me (on my right, next to the window) was chatting up two japanese girls (on the other side of the aisle, so "over me" if you will) at high decibels the entire journey. i dont think i will be doing that again in the near future.

if you are travelling from tokyo you might aswell stay a few days. On this occasion i didnt because i wanted to be back for my brothers birthday (tomorrow), and im only in japan for a week so wanted to spend time with the family.