A few weeks back at Naeba I saw a mother beating the poo out of her daughter who looked to be about 7 because the poor kid couldn't stand up. The girl was sprawled out, lying on her back with her legs still in snow plough, slowly sliding down the slope while the mother was whacking her with her ski poles and shouting at her to stand up. She's probably going to be so traumatised that she'll never learn now.

I really wanted to say something but the mother looked kind of scary and I don't think it would have helped.

Hate seeing things like that and not being able to do anything.

Maybe because she got frustrated while her daughter could not do things quick?

And probably nothing helps as you say.

The important thing is doing things slow and calm while you are with kids. Really need to be patient. Just remember when you were a kid.

Kids can learn quick but slow in each moment.

They learn how to in a day or two, but they need to time to stand up. Hard to explain though.

When my nieces and nephews (all elementary school kids ) visit me, I need to take them somewhere - if I had time and no prob.

ski slopes in winter, lakes, forests in summer etc. They need hours to have small lunch anywhere lol.. which is unbelievable to me. But my mom told me I needed more time when I was a kid so I can't complain. When I take them to a ski slope, I always make it a rule to get in a restaurant early like around 11 a.m. so that I don't need to mind crowds. That's how we finish lunch before people get in the restaurant one after another.

You wouldn't use Breed when talking about race. That is just plain wrong.

But when joking about people having babies I think it's alright to say that humans breed. Some of us breed like rabbits.

White trash - Trashy white people lol.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
You wouldn't use Breed when talking about race. That is just plain wrong.

But when joking about people having babies I think it's alright to say that humans breed. Some of us breed like rabbits.

White trash - Trashy white people lol.gif
Okay, then I guess my father might have been said he breeded coz he got 3 boys including me, right??

Hum... still no idea if we had that kind of phrase in Japanese.
No offence, but is it kinda discriminative phrase? Guess perhaps some people may say
just 'kuso!(=sh*t)'.

last weekend at naeba i saw something similar, although not quite as bad...

...a dad teaching his daughter to ski, she was crying, unable to get up and kept slipping over, but he wouldnt help her. pretty mean of him in my opinion.

surely learning to ski should be fun and not such a big deal!

Could never condone Waaaanky parents bullying kids into the "Do it my way" bit.

But after showing my kid how to get upand helping her many times also with all the other little things, there came the point where I wouldn't. Of course not in any dangerous situation or the like.

Not because it would make her tough, but make her more self responsible and independent. And there were teary times.

Now she has the nouse and ability to handle many of those "little incidents" and situations. She puts boots and skis on herself and wouldn't have it any other way. She always carries her own stuff. This year she's begun going over jumps and fallen a few times - not badly - but works out how to right herself and continue.

No big deal.

So whats the point. Ski resorts can be hazardous places, more so than other "play" areas like pools, parks etc. so learning the hard but fair way has some merits. Then the real fun can happen.

Too many kids are let loose on slopes by brainless parents who exercise little discipline over them. Often the same ones whining in the cafe over pissy little things, and bullying their mothers - Okaaaasaaan.

Not having witnessed the case mentioned above, I can't comment - but better having a grinding teacher than no teacher.

IMHO \:D

Maybe he tried to train her, kjj?

Yeah if something is fun to learn, kids would

get interested in it and will be good at it.

There's a Japanese proverb which says

好きこそ 物の 上手なれ。

which says something like

The more people like something, the better they are at it.

Understandable??

Literal translation of white trash is 下層白人 (care of good old ALC... http://snipurl.com/cvnl). Not really what you're after here. Edokko (江戸っ子) just means you're a native of Tokyo (Edo ko, child of Edo). (http://snipurl.com/cvnq)

There is often no good translation of English slang into Japanese. At least, I've never had any friends who have managed to supply me with decent slang which I could match up to English slang.

Quote:
Originally posted by booske:

There is often no good translation of English slang into Japanese. At least, I've never had any friends who have managed to supply me with decent slang which I could match up to English slang.
Exactly!!!!
There's always something hard to translate correctly.
So a lot often I don't get what people exactly would like to mean which could be a language barrier \:\(

I guess it's okay to ask something ONCE again or replace it in another way for both parties to understand. But if it's getting more like TWICE or 3 times, what people say to me is...

'Never mind, Gamera'

Then I feel it my lacking of English ability \:\(

yeah gamera, i imagine he was training her. but i still felt he was being a bit mean, she was so little and struggling! however, at least he wasnt hitting her with his ski poles...

Quote:
Then I feel it my lacking of English ability
Trust me Gamera, having difficulty understanding things like slang isn't a reflection of your English abilities. There is some Australian slang I have to ask about 2 or 3 times and I've lived here for ever (particularly bush slang).

I agree with Snobbes comment about the grinding teacher. Once I was teaching skiing to a group of kids from Osaka from a reform type school. There was one kid called Nakamura san...A real undisciplined bad egg with earings and peroxide hair..(14yr old) He had ciggarettes but no lighter and kept skiing away from the group asking strangers for fire....I got so pissed with him I skiied up behind him and wrapped my carbon fibre poles round the back of his knees...He didn't turn up for the afternoon class and the rest of the group simmered down a lot too...I'm guessing he's doing time somewhere these days and its probably not ski poles he has to watch from behind.

Im afraid Ill be the guy you read about on TV... Sometimes, Id really like to smack some people upside their heads with my stocks and may just do it next time. All you boarders who DONT look, BEWARE, BEWARE. Actually, its probably not yall I need to worry about. Ill have to go to the Japanese site then....