IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT THE FORUMS - PLEASE READ

Sad to hear. I have really enjoyed the forums and valued all the information and knowledge freely offered. Learn't heaps. Good to hear that I will still be able to view existing threads but will miss the interaction with other SJr's. All the best for the new direction

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ya know....I wish I could say I "understand" but really I don't. This forum was the only place that I could talk to folks about not only skiing but living our lives in Japan. It had a nice family at

Wow. I'm gutted. I've really enjoyed the community we had going here over the years. Productivity at work is surely going to go up. I'd be fine with my email going onto a contact list of some sort

Obviously this has not been an easy decision, but it is one that we always come back to being the correct one. We feel the need to move SnowJapan further forward and onwards and there are many th

I must say I am disappointed to hear this. This is my second year of winter sports in Japan. I have found myself looking at the forums the last few months more than I look at my Facebook. I am glad they will remain readable for sometime as there is a lot of valuable information. Thanks for all of your efforts in putting together this great site and forum. Hope to meet you on the slopes this season.

• SnowJapan Admin

Some things we certainly will not miss spending time on.....this is not in any way an invitation to promote stuff.

Please read what I have posted in this thread.

Thanks.

very sad to hear, but I guess all good things must come to an end. Kudos for all the hard work that goes behind operating an active forum. Well Done!

13 years of friends that i never met. (apart from one or two)

Some interesting characters on the way, a few of the older ones spring to mind, Thursday. Fattwins, Dp Spud, Oceans.....

• Like 1

Always admired how you have run the website and the forums (the latter sometimes in the face of surely huge annoyances). I also look forward to continue using the site and seeing where it goes.

Going to send a few names of like to have contact with, if you can help.

Cheers guys and keep up the great work with the site. Hope you can get out enjoying the slopes too.

• Like 1

David,

Having spent some time moderating an international forum in the past (nothing to do with snow, but olive oil) I understand the effort that is required to keep a place like these fora looking like there's no effort at all!

You have had (and continue to have) my admiration for the way in which you have always kept your cool (at least in public ;) ) and kept the place ticking over with very little angst.

Sad to see the forums head to the big bit bucket in the sky, but progress is progress, and if you have better things to do with your time, then that's the right decision!

I'll miss you guys!

John

• SnowJapan Admin

We'll still be here (and they sort of will still be here), don't forget!

Thank you for the comments, we appreciate them all and are touched with our own flavour of sadness as well.

Wow. I'm gutted. I've really enjoyed the community we had going here over the years. Productivity at work is surely going to go up. I'd be fine with my email going onto a contact list of some sort if anyone wants to get in touch.

Many thanks to the SJ dudes for all the hard work.

I'm going to miss you guys... :console:

Actually so would I. If it was possible to compile a list of willing SJers before the live plug is pulled to allow their email address to be put on a list that is sent out once to those who have given their consent.....that'd be awesome to keep in touch.

• SnowJapan Admin

We thought this through and think it's best you send us a mail of who you want to have, and we'll Lin k you up after asking both.... if both want It. If that makes sense. Will be happy to do that. And it goes without saying that we won't be logging any addresses or whatever. Those of you who know us know that!

It doeesn't need to be right now.... we're still going to be here 'later'.

:friend:

It's a shame, I was for the most part really enjoying the banter. Most people here are veteran snowboarders so worried that it would be out of my league to go on a list, but nevertheless I would love to extend to offer of a pint (or daijoki) to some folk if there is time/inclination. Also some buddies to go with when lady Peetan has had enough for the year would be great, if they could put up with a 30 something noob (fun trivia: that was nearly going to be my profile name).

Of course it must be said that the work gone into the site ha been really appreciated- I certai would not have known a lot of things if it weren't for here. Thanks to all the staff. And most of the posters :p

Real shame to hear this. Thanks very much to you SJ guys for all your work over the years. I've enjoyed being a member and posting on the forums.

It's a shame to lose touch with people, and miss out on possible meet ups on the slopes.

• SnowJapan Admin

Please email us with any requests.

Let me please say just one last time, this is not an invitation to promote stuff (not referring to you Mag!). If you ignore that, it'll be deleted.

Thanks.

So it's so long, farewell, and BOOK NOW! You should be is apologise and be censed issue! My first and last use of that glorious expression.

So much time, so many memories.

Some interesting characters on the way, a few of the older ones spring to mind, Thursday. Fattwins, Dp Spud, Oceans.....

If we're looking back, Echineko (!) and the fantastic wit that was badmigraine for me. "Captain Stag" for the best username.

Special thanks also to Markie who kindly bought me a curry and kebab at Indi Momo in Hakuba, back in the day when they did lamb versions of both.

Good luck to the SJ peeps with whatever the site is going to do.

And to everyone else, one last chance to say that skiing and boarding in Japan rocks.

If you're living here, you're spoilt. Get out there and don't take it for granted.

If you don't and haven't been here, come and see for yourselves. Just don't book now. Hold onto your shekels for a bit because it looks like Mr. Abe has some plans that involve the Japanese yen and a flushing toilet.

• Like 1

Yeah same I have met some really great people from the forums.

Good luck guys hope it doesn't have a negative effect on the website.

I will still be checking the Daily Reports and other Ski Jo info

• SnowJapan Admin
On 11/9/2014 at 8:36 PM, seemore said:

Good luck guys hope it doesn't have a negative effect on the website.

We have obviously thought about that, and done lots of thinking about lots of things here. Having taken everything that we know into account, we don't think it will.

In fact, quite probably the opposite, as we focus our energies more and move forward.

But whatever will happen... will happen. And we're good with that.

We're doing this with the intention of improving things, not to sit back and take a long rest.

Obviously that doesn't make us all feel more jolly about it all right at this very moment.

A certain colleague of mine would very probably add "...and even if it did, then so be it" 

Thanks.

So it's so long, farewell, and BOOK NOW! You should be is apologise and be censed issue! My first and last use of that glorious expression.

So much time, so many memories.

If we're looking back, Echineko (!) and the fantastic wit that was badmigraine for me. "Captain Stag" for the best username.

Special thanks also to Markie who kindly bought me a curry and kebab at Indi Momo in Hakuba, back in the day when they did lamb versions of both.

Ah Yes echineko :wub: and one more young lady but i cant remember her user name

• SnowJapan Admin

A certain colleague of mine would very probably add "...and even if it did, then so be it" (

Yes, I would add that.

I remember making the first posts on the Forums a long time ago. That seems like a lifetime ago and there are certainly a lot of Forums-related memories - some great...some not so! It's a real mix up of feelings behind this decision, but we always come back to the same answer when we have thought this all through...

A real thank you to the people who have genuinely supported the Forums over the years - I don't mean by just taking part, but helping out in other ways. That has been really appreciate it and we really do hope you keep in touch. For folk like that we really do wish we could continue, but as you might expect it's just not as simple as that.

David has also said it but we are not going anywhere, we'll be busy working away on the site and doing what we can to get good information out there. That hasn't changed one bit. The hope is that we will be able to do some of the things that we have at times held back due to having to deal with 'issues' on the Forums.

One thing though - if we ever look like we're going to say "Book Now", especially in capitals, please someone come up to Niigata and give us a big slap and shake us out of it. ;)

Don't worry, that's not going to happen.

Love you guys love all the work youve done. But hate this soooo much :)

Thanks for the hard works and stuffs, but sad we gonna break up the family.

• SnowJapan Admin

Unfortunately, Chriselle, you are never going to understand (what's involved) - there's only a handful of us who do, who have lived doing this. That's not meant to sound pompous or anything, it's just... true.

A few people here have mentioned experiences doing Forums stuff, and they can take a guess.

I surely wish you could!