I stayed at the Washington Hotel in Shinjuku for a couple of nights last year. It's a business hotel, but was full of Korean and Chinese tourists.

It's next door to the Park Hyatt, famous for the "Lost in Translation" movie. You can have a drink in the bar like Bill and Scarlett without being a guest.

The room was very small, but the window was basically filled with the Tokyo Municipal Building. Its a great building and the view of it was epic.

I ate breakfast in the non-buffet restaurant both times and it was pretty good. On a single tariff it was 12000 a night.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$180 for 5 star accommodation in the middle of Tokyo would indeed be a bargain! And Metropolitan Marunouchi would certainly be a convenient place to stay, and if you're a member of one of their clubs you could get a twin room for about that price. But 5*? JR's Metropolitan chain? Fuhgeddabbodit!

Hey everyone, thanks for all the great advice :thumbsup:

Plenty of food for thought so I'll do some more net search based on the above.

We don't need Burj al Arab standards but don't want Backpackers......

Tubbs - the New Year Basho is being held at the Ryogoku Kokugikan from Jan 11th to Jan 25th.

We're going to bus it from Hakuba to Nagano then take the Shinkansen (another bucket list item to be ticked off) to Tokyo.

Is there a cheap way to cover the Shinkansen trip and 3 days of using Tokyo metro and a one way trip on the Narita express?

Again, thanks in advance.

Oops! Too late for that john-san.....I'm afraid there are whole generations of kids from Yokohama to Sapporo who are running round skimping on their hotel choices.....perhaps they need to be is censed and apologise issue?!

I assume the word "whole" means a single amount and the word generations is plural which means more then one. Can you used those two word in the same context? I thought my English was bad but I am Australian. What is your excuse and you teach the subject. Perhaps you need censoring and apologise issued then dismiss from trying to teach English.

$180 for 5 star accommodation in the middle of Tokyo to most people is a bargain. Compare to other Major Cities for 5 star accommodation you be looking at $450 plus.

so now its 5* accommodation, perhaps your pretend aussie passport didn't inform you that to claim a bargain for 5* you have to actually say that its 5*…..regardless, this poorly spoken english teacher STILL wouldn't consider it a bargain since he would never stay in 5* accommodation in the first place……..so, not to harp on, but its as I said in my original post……….it depends on your idea of a bargain. Sheesh, John-san just read what's written on the screen.

(for the record…."whole generations" means the entire populace of many generations. If I meant one generation, I'd say "A whole generation of")

Oops! Too late for that john-san.....I'm afraid there are whole generations of kids from Yokohama to Sapporo who are running round skimping on their hotel choices.....perhaps they need to be is censed and apologise issue?!

I assume the word "whole" means a single amount and the word generations is plural which means more then one. Can you used those two word in the same context? I thought my English was bad but I am Australian.

Yet your profile says you are Japanese, resident in Australia.

What is your excuse and you teach the subject. Perhaps you need censoring and apologise issued then dismiss from trying to teach English.

$180 for 5 star accommodation in the middle of Tokyo to most people is a bargain. Compare to other Major Cities for 5 star accommodation you be looking at $450 plus.

I'm pretty done with this actually, as the English ability jibes are super off topic- but for someone throwing some hefty rocks about, you sure do live in a pretty damn fragile glass house.

You had the opportunity to explain to Tubby that your suggestion was high-class at his first post, but instead you inserted a racist slur. It's only now that you mentioned that it's a 5-star hotel. However, just a quick view for just a TWIN room in the marunouchi Metropolitan shows that it's at least 284 Australian dollars for that time in January.

Oh, and it's 4-star, not 5-star. Get your facts straight.

I honestly have no idea if you are deliberately trolling or you actually have no idea, but you need to either stop, or GTFO. I'll keep this in simple English: if you carry on like this, I will ask the forum staff to ban you, as it's souring the tone of the forum.

I can't say I noticed. Its up very high and has got a massive view window, and I might have been distracted by that. I'm not a hotel bar person at all, but that one was an experience. It would be a good place to take your missus on an anniversary. If you don't have three kids, that is.

It's hotel bar prices of course, but I wasn't paying. :)

I must admit I hate paying for hotels.... period.

Even expensive places aren't as good as home - most of them far inferior - and they take so much cash off you.

I feel they almost never ever offer value for money. Or what I think is what is value for money --- and if I'm paying, that's what counts!

A necessary (at times) evil for me.

Paying for accommodation cranks up a whole new level when you have kids.

Sometimes its the crappy places that charge for them and the quite nice ones that don't. Last year we went with our two youngest (5 and 1 at the time) to the ANA hotel by Niigata Station. It was about 14,000 room charge for b and b. The breakfast was a big hotel buffet with the guy there making omelettes to order. The room was very big. It was actually free because we had ANA points off a credit card we had to use or lose.

Most pensions would have much smaller rooms and charge for a 5 year old. There won't be that many where you can stay b n b for 14,000 with two small kids. The breakfast will also be much smaller and won't be as good.

Now that does sound like value for money.

Must admit, it's the breakfast that I like most about staying somewhere. Scrimp on that and I'm not a happy camper. Nice big hotel full on buffet though and I like that.

I must admit I hate paying for hotels.... period.

Even expensive places aren't as good as home - most of them far inferior - and they take so much cash off you.

I feel they almost never ever offer value for money. Or what I think is what is value for money --- and if I'm paying, that's what counts!

A necessary (at times) evil for me.

Spoken like a true McSki !! :lol: :lol: :lol: lmfao

As a fellow scotsman, can i just confirm the stereotype. When he said "decent hotel?" my first thought (and only thought) was "toyoko inn?"

Peetan it was DiGriz who mention twin room try looking at best available price

Correct, the Metro chain is considered 4 star but this Metro is house in the Sepia Tower. The Sepia tower is built using old and new Japanese building methods. Using the old counterweight system used in Japan's centuries old Pagoda and the latest concrete building methods of that time. If it was built to international standards of the same period, it would have collapse on 3/11. That why this particular Hotel is worth a extra star. I was in the Sepia Tower on the 34th food when the .9 quake hit at 2.45pm on the 3/11. If you do not think staying in a earthquake proof building so that your family are safe in a earthquake prone City is not worth a extra star then you are entitled to your opinion be it a bad opinion at that.

You must be new to this forum because most users of this forum known the history between Tubby, Pie and myself.

Tubby voiced his opinion at my comment. My comment contain advice on where to stay at for a bargain price. Tubby comment on my advise

So who is doing the so call trolling.

Do you want ban Tubby as well.

Anyway I think Tubby can bat for himself. You just hold up your end.

As for my nationality I don,t think anyone cares. I know I don,t

Your welcome to think that pointing out a well known trait is considered discriminative. The majority of Scottish people are very proud of being frugal. Judging by Tubby reply, it is Tubby who is offended by this fact. If I apologise to Tubby I would be offering the Majority of Scottish people. So I suggest, build a bridge and both get over it.

Your nationality is only mildly interesting because you don't seem to have a grasp on either English or Japanese; and you have been the one bringing it up.

For my part, I was only bringing up incorrect information*... not language ability. (* Oh yes, and plonker-ish-ness).

Please do go over to the other thread though and explain the bit about the shinkansens and silly station names.

Domo.

Of course, if you find that you are wrong please don't forget to be is censed and apologise issue.

Sounds like great value that Mr Wiggles.

I do like a good hotel breakfast.

:yummy:

Back home over summer, we had an all you can eat breakfast at a restaurant called Harvester in Warrington.

It was amazing, and only 6 quid each. Truly quality stuff, and as much of it as you like.

I hope it's still there next year. Would be great at double the price.

Your welcome to think that pointing out a well known trait is considered discriminative. The majority of Scottish people are very proud of being frugal.

I wasn't going to comment on this on-going handbags-at-dawn squabble, but Biggen !!! Where the hell do you get this from ?? :thumbsdown:

Your ill-informed condescension meter must have hit the red zone. :lol: :lol:

Peetan it was DiGriz who mention twin room try looking at best available price

Correct, the Metro chain is considered 4 star but this Metro is house in the Sepia Tower. The Sepia tower is built using old and new Japanese building methods. Using the old counterweight system used in Japan's centuries old Pagoda and the latest concrete building methods of that time. If it was built to international standards of the same period, it would have collapse on 3/11. That why this particular Hotel is worth a extra star. I was in the Sepia Tower on the 34th food when the .9 quake hit at 2.45pm on the 3/11. If you do not think staying in a earthquake proof building so that your family are safe in a earthquake prone City is not worth a extra star then you are entitled to your opinion be it a bad opinion at that.

You must be new to this forum because most users of this forum known the history between Tubby, Pie and myself.

Tubby voiced his opinion at my comment. My comment contain advice on where to stay at for a bargain price. Tubby comment on my advise

So who is doing the so call trolling.

Do you want ban Tubby as well.

Anyway I think Tubby can bat for himself. You just hold up your end.

As for my nationality I don,t think anyone cares. I know I don,t

Your welcome to think that pointing out a well known trait is considered discriminative. The majority of Scottish people are very proud of being frugal. Judging by Tubby reply, it is Tubby who is offended by this fact. If I apologise to Tubby I would be offering the Majority of Scottish people. So I suggest, build a bridge and both get over it.

:confused: The majority of Scots are proud to be frugal?!? Hmm.....I think you are insulting my ancestors

You are aware of what a public forum is right?! It's a discussion of topics.....you said that the Metro, at 180 dollars, is a bargain.....I said that it depends on what your idea of a bargain is, because 180 dollars is not a bargain.......for me a hotel room that's 180 a night is pretty damn expensive.......how exactly is that trolling?!?

History between me, you and Pies? :lol:

i have no history with you.....you may perceive us to have some but that's a one way street.....I simply take part in discussions that are going on in the forums

A. SAPIA tower.

B. You can't get a room that fits 4 people in it. I tried finding it. Therefore cheapest is two TWIN rooms, at 470 dollars total. That is not a bargain, and not what you said. I also can't find the part that says the Sapia tower is 5-star rated. I'm only using the best available price on the OFFICIAL Marunouchi website, so I might be a little wrong, who knows. Please prove me wrong.

It's great to see that you were in safe in that building, because were you in the other hotels that weren't damaged, you could have been killed. </sarcasm>

I can see that you joined 3 months before me. Well done, you veteran. Please check before trying to belittle people; if you are on a hiding to nothing, people will definitely know.

Oh, and MOST PEOPLE know not to use sweeping statements, because all they do is piss people such as myself off. However, is spite of this my sweeping statement is that most people probably don't give a damn, not a tiny care, about whatever grievance you have.

I am fully aware that Tubby can fight his own battles. You're just getting on my nerves, which takes a lot by the way, and I am telling you such. Wind your neck in and change your tone.

Now that does sound like value for money.

Must admit, it's the breakfast that I like most about staying somewhere. Scrimp on that and I'm not a happy camper. Nice big hotel full on buffet though and I like that.

If you have the time, Okinawa is well cheap at this time of year. The south end, Ishigaki in particular, will still be warm enough to swim in the sea. Japanese people stuck in "Summer is August" mode won't be swimming, but the sea will be warmer than the Med is in early July and the beaches will be deserted. On sunny days, air temp will be 26, 27C I guess. It'll only feel cold if its windy.

Okinawa has loads of resort hotels with big rooms and the breakfast buffet. I reckon you could go there for four nights for about fifty odd thousand, flights and car rental included.

I bloomin' loved ishigaki- a real slice of heaven. If you can, get to hirakawa and go in one of the glass bottom boats to see something wonderful. If it is actually warm enough to swim (definitely will be comparing to the bitter UK, fooking brisk all year round) then going to one of the nearby islands means you can snorkel or scuba and see some very amazing reefs. Kohamajima haimurubushi hotel is absolutely wonderful too, and might be reasonable this time of year.

If you want to save more on hotel, there is the Hotel Lumiere Nishikasai. It's further away, 30min east of Tokyo Station by train.

4 people per room, 2 nights for under 300 dollars total (150 per night for 4 people).

It might be a triple room or 2 twin beds, so the teens might have to sleep in the same bed.

BTW, I never stayed in this hotel.