G'day All,

After our ski trip to Hakuba, we'll be in Tokyo for 3 days (2 nights) in late Jan. - a Tokyo shopping trip for Mrs. & Miss Big Al was part of the trade off for the ski trip.

Based solely on Net research I was thinking of booking a hotel in the Shinjuku area.

1.) Can anyone recommend a good hotel suitable for us (Mum, Dad & 2 teenage kids) in Shinjuku. Desirable attributes include late checkout (or baggage hold facility) on our last day so we can enjoy another Tokyo day before an evening flight out of Narita.

2.) Is there an area better than Shinjuku in which to base ourselves? A priority is easy access to good shopping (really good sports store is a must - I want a cool Japanese cycle shirt and Junior wants a footy shirt), restaurants etc. and plan on going to the sumo basho so easy access to metro/rail system?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the sumo on in Tokyo at that time Big Al? It moves around the country, I'm not sure of the schedule, but a loooooong time ago when I was first here, my friends visited in September-October time and I took them to the sumo in Tokyo.

Pretty much anywhere within the Yamanote line circle gives you easy/good access to anywhere else in Tokyo. Shinjuku is a good spot because a number of lines intersect there, giving you good travel options as well as loads of restaurants, bars etc

Hilton hotel and The Grand Hyatt, I have stayed at both of them, they are both very nice hotels and will keep your luggahe for you.

They also both have a free shuttle bus that runs every 15 or 20 mins that take you between the hotel and Shinjuku station.

How are you getting back from Hakuba? By bus or train?

If you are flying out of Narita, the alternative area to stay would be in the Ginza or Tokyo Station area. Plenty of shopping there, and easy access to Ryogoku (for the Kokugikan, i.e. sumo) as well as all other parts of Tokyo by subway lines and the Yamanote line. It's really up to you, because you can catch the Narita Express from Shinjuku as well...

Hey Big Al,

I have stayed previously at Sunroute Plaza hotel Shinjuku

Reasonably priced and close to everything just 300m outside the west entrance of Shiunjuku station.

85e02501df1560d359a473f544224481a83c9aa7.pnghttp://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=35.68711935422779,139.69910144805908&size=264x150&sensor=false&language=en-gb&zoom=13&client=gme-booking&signature=XDECDWZgwoCxN5p-rJCoDtEzGEI=

From $180 a night the Metro is a bargin. It is a 30 meter walks to the elevator (on the 24 floor of the Sepia Towers) from the Nihonbashi entrance (Tokyo Station North entrance) . They will store your bags but why cart your bags around Japan. Black Cat will pick up from your Hakuba Hotel take it to Narita for about $25 per bag. You have to put the frogs in their own room. The room will be very uncomfortable with 4 people

Well it depends on ur definition of a bargain.....180 shekels a night doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me

How deep are your pockets and how short are your arms? that right your Scotish

How clever are you? Racist stereotypes! Nice one John-san.

Dunno if u are aware of the pretend salaries that ALT's get in this country, but it's not enough to consider 180 shekels a night as being "a bargain". Perhaps being an all knowing Nagano-living, 100% Aussie who doesn't ever insult the ancestors of Adam Goodes and has lots of industry friends, pays better.....maybe I'll change jobs

I kind of wish he were much cleverer, it would make it a bit of a challenge.

"I kind of wish he was much cleverer" ! Seem like your own language is a challenge for you. It should be "more clever" . Cleverer? is there such a word. Like I said before. You make up Shite and your full of it!!

How clever are you? Racist stereotypes! Nice one John-san.

Dunno if u are aware of the pretend salaries that ALT's get in this country, but it's not enough to consider 180 shekels a night as being "a bargain". Perhaps being an all knowing Nagano-living, 100% Aussie who doesn't ever insult the ancestors of Adam Goodes and has lots of industry friends, pays better.....maybe I'll change jobs

If you do change jobs don,t became a pretend Enghish teacher, teaching your bad english to Japanese children.

1.) Can anyone recommend a good hotel suitable for us (Mum, Dad & 2 teenage kids) in Shinjuku. Desirable attributes include late checkout (or baggage hold facility) on our last day so we can enjoy another Tokyo day before an evening flight out of Narita.

Most hotels will hold your baggage. 2 teenagers will likely count as adults.

2.) Is there an area better than Shinjuku in which to base ourselves? A priority is easy access to good shopping (really good sports store is a must - I want a cool Japanese cycle shirt and Junior wants a footy shirt), restaurants etc. and plan on going to the sumo basho so easy access to metro/rail system?

Alternatively, you could stay near Tokyo Station. Easy access to trains and airports. Ginza for shopping/eating. Short train hop to sumo stadium and Jimbocho for ski stuff. Well, once you hop the train, everything is close enough.

Marunouchi hotels (there are 2) and Ryumeikan are a bit cheaper, or you could stay in the Tokyo Station Hotel if you feel like spending a bit more.

Oops! Too late for that john-san.....I'm afraid there are whole generations of kids from Yokohama to Sapporo who are running round skimping on their hotel choices.....perhaps they need to be is censed and apologise issue?!

Hotel Villa Fontaine chain has inns in Jimbocho & Otemachi (actually the Jimbocho side of Otemachi) both in the ski/outdoor/sports shopping district, plenty of neat little eating venues. think you can book through either the hotels dot c or booking dot c websites. Places are clean, inexpensive businessman-type lodging. Couple of places in the Central chain around Kanda station (again, near the ski shopping) including New Central, same booking options or search in the Kanda district on google maps. SunRoute is always a decent choice, several choices from that chain in Tokyo. All depends on how much you want to spend and how much luxury you need.

Oops! Too late for that john-san.....I'm afraid there are whole generations of kids from Yokohama to Sapporo who are running round skimping on their hotel choices.....perhaps they need to be is censed and apologise issue?!

I assume the word "whole" means a single amount and the word generations is plural which means more then one. Can you used those two word in the same context? I thought my English was bad but I am Australian. What is your excuse and you teach the subject. Perhaps you need censoring and apologise issued then dismiss from trying to teach English.

$180 for 5 star accommodation in the middle of Tokyo to most people is a bargain. Compare to other Major Cities for 5 star accommodation you be looking at $450 plus.