• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I earn my turns by putting up with working most weekdays.

I like to urn my terns.   Though that probably belongs in the Monkey in a Bucket thread.

I earn my turns by having to get up at the ridiculously early time of 8am to make the first lifts at Mt Granview or Maiko Snow Resort.

I'm giving some thought to gearing up and taking a shot at back country, not because of any ``earn your turns'' nonsense but due to the overcrowding at Hokkaido resorts that's making it more and more difficult to get the goods.

Mr. SKI, why do u think it such a stupid phrase??

Perhaps you could explain to me why it isn't?

You like expending more energy than is necessary to do something that you enjoy?

Does it make it better?

I don't think so.

Well.....so far in this life of mine I've....earned my.. stripes, keep, chops, wings, scars, living, some people's trust, and salt...

"Earning my turns" needs much, much further attention.. :wave:

You like expending more energy than is necessary to do something that you enjoy?

Does it make it better?

I don't think so.

Since I don't get out much I generally like lots of lift-served laps. If I lived in snowcountry though, I'd probably hike more often. I dunno, Mr. Ski, I think it's kind of fun to walk up a big mountain sometimes. - not trying to get all spiritual or any of that shit, but you know -- feel the energy of it all without the crowds, that sort of thing. You should try it. You might even like it.

Mr. SKI, why do u think it such a stupid phrase??

Perhaps you could explain to me why it isn't?

Does it make it better?

I don't think so.

Do you not enjoy getting right out into the outdoors? Going places few others do? Getting away from it all? Getting first tracks down a slope? If you don't then sure backcountry or 'earning your turns' may not be for you. Personally I love it. It allows you to access not only some of the most beautiful and untouched places on this planet but ski slopes that you just can't get to using lifts alone. For me it does 'make it better' because the isolation and effort are things I love.

What I find stupid is the large commercial ski areas advertising " bottomless" "deep untracked powder" which is tracked out by lunchtime.

So yeah ill go for a climb to get away from the crowds and the lifts.

Do you not enjoy getting right out into the outdoors?

I enjoy it very much.

Going places few others do?

I enjoy it very much.

Getting first tracks down a slope?

Getting away from it all?

I enjoy it very much.

However, enjoying these things doesn't automatically turn me into some cliche machine.

And if a helicopter could get me up there quicker, I'd be on for that.

This is all assuming that you now do want my opinion. I suppose you wouldn't ask those things if you didn't....

Well resorts talking bollocks is a whole other issue isn't it, gvm373.

:lol:

I wonder how long the Niseko resort marketers will be able to keep on spouting that nonsense out while keeping a straight face.