I'll be in Japan for Thanksgiving for about 10 days. Planning to spend 2 days in Hakone for the hot spings then I hope to be able to snowboard somewhere.

Would there be any resorts open around Tokyo or should I fly up to Sapporo? Would there be a place around to go sightseeing and maybe board for a day or two?

I think Thanksgiving is late November? (Google tells me it's the 27th) Should be a few of the Hokkaido ski areas open. Sapporo Kokusai, Rusutsu, Hirafu, Furano, maybe Teine.

Those early days are always fun, just because its great to be back on snow after the summer, but the snow is rarely great! As long as you're not expecting powder like in the movies, I'd say it'd be worth it for a day or two if you tied it in with something else. Probably not worth making the trip up here just for the snowboarding though.

Marunuma in Gunma opens on the 22nd of November using snow machines. It is not far from Tokyo but requires a car or a bus ride. Kagura in Niigata should also be open and is easier to get to. Both have nice hot springs in the area and the views are nice. As long as you're not expecting knee deep powder (or natural snow), they could be fun.

Opening Day at Kiroro is Friday 21 November.

Grand Hirafu is normally the same day or the following day.

I've had plenty of powder days on Opening Day. On pistes which haven't been groomed, not in the trees.

Too much sasa.