Just been reading about, and watching Youtube videos of the Happo One Riesenslalom.

It's held in March each year so unfortunately 2015 would be out for me, but it has stirred something in my soul and is burning the deep, deep layers of desire to the point of it becoming a project :D

Has anyone here competed in this?

Yeah, skied the run myself and it's pretty cruisy.

Racing down the whole length through GS or Super-G (or even D/H) radius gates is a whole different ball game however.

I have been down that a few times in the comp (in my own mind)

Unfortunately it's a three stopper for these old legs!

My thoughts exactly SJ. Technically, it looks as safe as a high(ish) speed event can be, but quad burn would be considerable.

In my mid-teens when training and racing for the school, some mates and I "downhilled" (ie. pretended it was a race event and dodged the ski patrols etc.) the ladies Olympic course at Axamer Lizum in Austria - top to bottom. Compared to the short slalom and GS courses we were used to racing it was unbearably long and the many cruisy sections were absolute agony in the tuck. By means of comparison, at that time I could do the "chair sit" exercise (hips and knees at 90 Deg while "sitting" against a wall) for some 15 minutes.

I'm well keen to try it but fully accept that standing up, or stopping, to relieve quad pressure is inevitable no matter how much I train these old legs.

Onya Ethan - you look young enough to do this event a lot more justice than I!

I compete every year. Never won it. Never got close to winning it!

But my daughter is reigning ladie's champion!

It is more like a SuperG or Downhill race than a GS or slalom.

It is funny watching every one jelly legged at the final gates.

Awesome stemik!!

Congrat's to your daughter :thumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking, what age category do you compete in? and what time usually wins that category? I'll be 50-59 category for the next few years.

I was thinking that the locals would be unbeatable in most categories but would love to have a crack if there were some kind of Gaijin award.

Awesome stemik!!

Congrat's to your daughter :thumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking, what age category do you compete in? and what time usually wins that category? I'll be 50-59 category for the next few years.

I was thinking that the locals would be unbeatable in most categories but would love to have a crack if there were some kind of Gaijin award.

I compete in the 40-50 age group, (only for a few more years!)

Not many locals compete it, there is kind of an unwritten rule that locals are to help out and not compete.

Not sure of top of my head what time runs but I think about 1:45.

Steve Lee, the exAussie ski racer competed last year!

It's a good couple of days racing, and brings in a few hundred competitors for the midweek event.

More gaijin the better too!

Steve Lee, the exAussie ski racer competed last year!

Steve Bloody Lee is 2 months younger than me which puts him firmly in my age group for ever........... :doh:

Ah well..... I suppose just finishing would be a victory of sorts........certainly the only one I'll be up for!! :violin:

Still keen though :D