I'm really pleased to see that lots of skijo seem to be increasing the prices of their lift ticket prices, even though it's only usually by around a few hundred yen or so.

Hopefully the price of curry-rice and ramen will also increase. And beer too.

One would also hope that the rises will continue next year, with the further increase in consumption tax and everything else getting more expensive.

:clap:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No! If it's supporting Abenomics, I'm all for it as I'm sure other fellow Abenomics fans are.     Luckily, all the price increases are balanced out by all our salaries here in Japan going up co

Sounds good!   ...but Rusutsu is pretty sh*t though and should be avoided, for guaranteed knee deep powder and lots of 'gerende Magic' then one should look no further than Niseko on the island of Ja

No! If it's supporting Abenomics, I'm all for it as I'm sure other fellow Abenomics fans are.

:thumbsup:

Luckily, all the price increases are balanced out by all our salaries here in Japan going up considerably. Again, thanks to Abenomics.

• Like 1

The prices have gone up because of the tax increase, no? Personally, I hope that inflation thingy shows up soon and really takes off! I certainly wouldn't mind paying more for the same old thing... in fact, we should pay more for less (like lifts that stop half way up the hill or something)

• SnowJapan Admin

It's crazy how many skijo haven't even updated their own info online at this stage of the year and probably won't for a while yet.

Though having gone through this every year for quite a few years, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised!

Rusutsu has introduced a new *IC Chip card* system from this season, with a returnable deposit of ¥500 for the card.

A day lift pass is ¥5,500

Yeah, but Teine hasn't…….so if you've bought a K-winter pass through Teine, you'll get the old laminated style season card, then when you go to Rusutsu for the first time, they'll give you a day IC pass and take your laminated pass. When you return your day IC card at the end of the day, they will return your old style pass and give you a new season long IC card that you can use when you go to Rusutsu.

Sounds good!

...but Rusutsu is pretty sh*t though and should be avoided, for guaranteed knee deep powder and lots of 'gerende Magic' then one should look no further than Niseko on the island of Japan.

• Like 1

Sounds good!

...but Rusutsu is pretty sh*t though and should be avoided, for guaranteed knee deep powder and lots of 'gerende Magic' then one should look no further than Niseko on the island of Japan.

Very true.

Can't blame them for it.

Now they just need to get rid of the silly "children for free" stuff that was going on before. I see a few places pulling the reigns back on that. Asking a nominal fee for them is much more sensible.

A lot of the discounting is silly to be honest. Lets grab a bigger piece of the shrinking pie but make it worth less at the same time.

It would make more sense to make the experience better, while specifically targeting discounts only at the price-sensitive people who do exist.

Anyone with a newish car, 15000 yen Oakley goggles, an 80000 yen Norrona jacket, a 120,000 yen fat skis/Dukes combo can afford to pay for lift tickets, even if they don't want to.

Couple of hundred yen increase per year for lift passes won't surprise me but seems the Hokkaido resort liner bus tickets are up by abt 1000yen from last year (!). Did anyone see this huge hike coming? Wonder if Goodsports ski lift + coach packages will ever be as good value as before...

Can't blame them for it.

Now they just need to get rid of the silly "children for free" stuff that was going on before. I see a few places pulling the reigns back on that. Asking a nominal fee for them is much more sensible.

Perhaps children to 12 is a little excessive, but say, 10 and under? I don't mind paying for a full day pass for myself, cos I can go and rip it up, but when I've got to pay that, plus pay for my 6 year-old, who's good for one, maybe two, runs, a hot chocolate inside, and then one more run, lunch, etc.. My teeth start grinding at the costs... if I stop bringing my kids, because it gets too expensive, then they don't learn snowsports, etc... Maybe they'll pick them up later, maybe not, but if the hook is set now, then they'll come for life...

If they take up soccer, say, because it's cheaper for me, then the lift co. loses a future customer, and me, the current one.

Ski resorts should be bending over backwards, in light of demographics, to appeal to families and parents.

The free for kids creates expectations that accommodations cannot possibly go with. Lots of them think there are better ways to go about encouraging families, and I agree.

The problem is not locals. Anyone travelling from the city on a ski trip with kids is shelling out a lot for transport (big cars that can carry kids cost more), accom (which charges for kids), very quickly grown-out-of gear (which kids need), onsens (which charge for kids), etc. etc. All of this happens thanks to the existence of the ski resort, who aren't allowed to charge for kids because that would hurt the "future of the sport".

If your kid isn't really into it and can't get value from a day pass, buy single tickets. Granted that the ski resorts could offer more flexible pricing in that regard. They can also offer discounts through local schools (which some of them do already) in day-trippable range, because the closer you are, the greater the importance of the cost of the ticket. The cost of a kids' lift ticket for someone coming to Hakuba from Osaka is a very small % of their trip cost. Half of such people will turn up in a car that cost at least 2 million yen and will happily pay Starbucks 900 yen for two takeaway coffees. Likewise anyone flying into Japan to ski. They can easily afford lift tickets for kids.

The problem is not locals. Anyone travelling from the city on a ski trip with kids is shelling out a lot for transport (big cars that can carry kids cost more), accom (which charges for kids), very quickly grown-out-of gear (which kids need), onsens (which charge for kids), etc. etc. All of this happens thanks to the existence of the ski resort, who aren't allowed to charge for kids because that would hurt the "future of the sport".

Ski areas are not the only ones who charge less for kids, though. Kids' meals, clothing, gear, and accommodations are all generally cheaper than those for adults.

Are meals, clothing, gear and accommodation free anywhere at all?

I don't see any problem with charging less than for adults. It's the free thing which is causing a bit of a fuss and I think unwarranted.