Locals should have to pay more. Especially for things like seasons passes. It's not as if they're going to drive somewhere further away. The inflated prices for locals can subsidize the free tickets for out-of-towner's kids thus bringing in more business and revenue.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No! If it's supporting Abenomics, I'm all for it as I'm sure other fellow Abenomics fans are.     Luckily, all the price increases are balanced out by all our salaries here in Japan going up co

Sounds good!   ...but Rusutsu is pretty sh*t though and should be avoided, for guaranteed knee deep powder and lots of 'gerende Magic' then one should look no further than Niseko on the island of Ja

but some people may frown at you having your kids hike naked up a ski slope……they may whisper "Jimmy Saville" at you as you go by

Surely that depends on the color/loudness of your ski jump suit that you're wearing at the time?

Locals should have to pay more. Especially for things like seasons passes. It's not as if they're going to drive somewhere further away. The inflated prices for locals can subsidize the free tickets for out-of-towner's kids thus bringing in more business and revenue.

Not sure that would work?!

The locals are the ones that visit on none-powder and none-bluebird days and probably, none-weekends!! So surely they are the ones that bring the money in the most (including restaurants, lockers, ski/board shops @ the resort) as opposed to out-of-town families? Wouldn't make much sense to piss of your local customers by charging them more!

Actually less and less locals are skiing or riding. My direct neighbors don't

For my son's age (11) there are only three out of two classes that are members of the alpine ski club. Of course some do join the cross country club, but most of the boys are playing soccer.

They do have certain days for PE on the slopes and maybe some kids will ski by themselves but overall the figures are well down from previous years/generations.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

Most of my daughter's classmates hardly ski. She only does a few days herself now, because she does cross country skiing and that is six days a week.

Are you suggesting I force my kid to do cross country?! ;) I wish she paid that much attention to what I say :lol:

It's all her choice. Day to day, its much less running about for us than the alpine skiing club would be, but there are more races and so more work at weekends.

She gets to practice on the Olympic course, so the facilities are incredible. The club also has a strong record of producing champions. It being a minor sport helps, of course.

As exercise goes, it burns more calories than anything else, even swimming, so it's good for her. She's a third year now, and they start doing races on the longer courses with the big climbs. Going downhill on them skinny skis is pretty hairy too. The men's races get up to 70-80km/h on them.

Not sure that would work?!

The locals are the ones that visit on none-powder and none-bluebird days and probably, none-weekends!! So surely they are the ones that bring the money in the most (including restaurants, lockers, ski/board shops @ the resort) as opposed to out-of-town families? Wouldn't make much sense to piss of your local customers by charging them more!

They visit on non-powder and non-bluebird days using a season pass. All I ever hear from locals is how good the season ticket value is for them because they go so often. How much extra money does a lift company get from that? Locals also tend to only do half days which means they don't eat at the restaurants, or use lockers, etc. Even when they do full days they make/bring their own food. They also certainly don't stay at any of the accommodation near the resorts. People from out of town probably spend more in one trip than locals spend all season. Anyway, I guess I should have included a ;) , since I wasn't being serious in my previous post.

Here's another one just in case ;)

People can choose to live in the city or live near a ski resort, it's a choice right?

I spoke with one guy from a ski resort about this kind of thing last year. He said that it was good for locals to be there mid-week, even if they are not "spending" as such - a lively place is better than a dead feeling place.

Locals like myself also effectively "spread the word" about places, and I don't mean in an official/paid way. People have seen my photos and wanted to go "there". I don't think I'm meaningless to the local skijo even if I go on a freebie and don't buy curry-rice.

Perhaps I should add... there have only been very rare freebies for me as a local here. There should be more! :grandpa:

The most freebies have been a number of lift tickets courtesy of SnowJapan over the years.

:lol:

Well I know plenty of kids here who don't enjoy their daily bukatsu activities, but still do them. So that's kind of what I was asking.

My eldest is in elementary and I don't think bukatsu are compulsory at that age in many schools. As with the uniforms and the rote learning for tests, I think it gets properly cranked up at JHS.

One thing I have noticed is that some resorts offer discounts to people who are from the local area or same prefecture. Others offer discounts to people from specific areas on different days. I think Charmant even offers discounts to people from different parts of the world on different days...

Season passes are laughably cheap at most resorts too. Especially if people opt for the early-bird discounts. A place like cortina only charges 30,000Y for an early-bird season pass, which means you only have to go 9 times before you have started saving money. They should charge more.