First of all, sorry if this is not the place to open this thread.

I was wondering if any of you have travelled to Japan with an ABS backpack in the checked in luggage.

Eventhough IATA permits its transport within airplanes, air carriers have the last word on that. I hava a bad experience travelling to Munich with cartridge, so now that I will visit Hokkaido and fly with Japan Airlines, could anybody tell me If I'd find any issue with it?

Thanks.

I think there is an issue….can't remember exactly but I don't think they allow it. Also, I know that there are problems getting them re-filled in Japan if you bought them outside the country, someone was on last year asking a similar question and I'm not sure if we ever found out a place that can fill them up

So in the end, I reached Japan Airlines by phone and they asked me to send via email documentation to fulfill my request and forward it to Japan authorities, headquarters of the carrier or whatever.

I attached in the mail, pdf of the manufacturer and IATA's regulation on dangerous goods stating that avalanche airbag systems are allowed.

I've just received the clearance from JAL and they've confirmed me it for both, the flight from Europe and the internal one.

Cheers