Japanese TV going a bit overboard...

That is why I don't watch Japanese TV, it pisses me off, all this over the top sugoi's, umai's, subarashi's, etc.

And they usually have to shout while they say it.

Basically any of these type of programmes do my head in.

It is a big reason I did not bother to instal TV cable in my house and went for hikari instead.

When I want to watch NHK news I use myportable TV or just wifi connect my phone to my TV if I want to watch it on a big screen.

As for the Japanese houses being sugoi, the standard rental houses are far from sugoi, rather pretty shite.

Paper thin walls, wafer thing glass, cold as f@#k in winter and hot as.... in summer.

Not sure where they get the sugoi part there.

Having your own house built to a decent standard like we did is different, but the bulk standard houses, no way.

These clowns just want to be on TV.

The good carpenters are really good. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter so much how beautifully or intricately you join two bit of framing any more, because you really should be adding bracing to the frame and metal bolts or brackets to joints for earthquake resistance. It also makes more sense to have the framing and joints all cut by machine in a controlled environment in a factory than doing it outdoors on a muddy site.

What they were showing were the more decorative/ornamental wooden bits that people pay a shitload of money for. It looked really beautiful, even if it doesn't add anything functional to the house.

One Japanese show that I don't mind watching is the Before-After renovation show. The shitholes that some people live in are amazing... I get the feeling that they aren't the type of people who need/deserve to live in the really nice houses the show builds for them but oh well...

What they were showing were the more decorative/ornamental wooden bits that people pay a shitload of money for. It looked really beautiful, even if it doesn't add anything functional to the house.

One Japanese show that I don't mind watching is the Before-After renovation show. The shitholes that some people live in are amazing... I get the feeling that they aren't the type of people who need/deserve to live in the really nice houses the show builds for them but oh well...

Haha...my daughter and I watch those shows. I often wonder if the newly reno'ed "de-pack-ratted" residence would end up looking like a fresh pack-rat house in a year or so following the reno... :sj-lol:

snapback.pngBlack Mountain, on 04 November 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

A proper washitsu with shoji paper screens, tokonoma alcove and ranma carved decorations is beautiful. Not many folks put them in now, and unfortunately the traditional builders who are best at them will probably know very little about insulation and draught proofing. So you get a beautiful house that has to have a kero stove burning in every room.

To Japanify your home, second-hand screens and ranma can be bought very cheaply because very few people want them. Only very high quality ones are worth anything. The normal quality ones should be impressive enough for most people.

The before-after show is good tv, but they usually spend at least double the stated budget, with all the bathroom fittings and kitchen being donated by Toto etc sponsoring the show. They often build walls of built-in storage too, which are great but cost as much if not more than furniture. The mystery "what's he making?" fold down table that reverses into a bench thing the designer comes up with is "yarase" from the programme makers. Some of them won't be very durable in actual use.

Just seen my mate on a TV show on NHK BS1......bit of a surprise as I didn't know he was going to be on.....but it was the Cool Japan one with a bunch of gaij talking about "cool" kids toys.....of course they were all suitably amazed by kendama......WOW!! I'm gonna give my mate some shit next time i see him:)