I recall similar kind of frustrations but...

Just had to hand over over 3000 yen to receive some boots I bought. They came via DHL.

On the slip it says

Import duty - 1200 yen

Consumption tax - 1200 yen

Duty handling fee - 1080 yen

WTF?

And is there any way to predict this? Is there a price list somewhere, or do they just slap on whatever they want?

Basically can't receive the package if I dont pay so there's zero choice.

Bad mood.

Always feels like a scam, but as there's nowt that can be done other than probably banging your head against a wall it's best to just cough up and forget asap.

The annoying thing is, that if you check Japanese customs website (at least the last time I checked), it says that ski/snow sports gear is exempt from customs tariffs.

This is the website http://www.customs.go.jp/english/tariff/2014_4/data/e_95.htm

scroll down to skis and others…..it says FREE

:confused:

Yes....they basically just say...."don't shoot the messenger". There are a number of companies I order from who don't put the value or receipt in the box. I never get charged with them. Just last week I put in an order with a different supplier and forgot to ask for an electronic receipt only. I got hammered with a 4500 yen customs charge. I don't know if that's different than the DHL fee or not as I've never encountered that.