Many Nagano-based clubs belong to schools or are resort-based but affiliated with local schools and have teacher involvement. Doesn't the school your kids go to have one?

Ha! don't know about that- didn't think to ask..I'll ask child # 1 to ask his teachers, #2 is still in K, so I'm sure they don't have a club. I just assumed that it would be resort-based, and schools would stay out of it.

What's the skiing-to-bureaucracy ratio for school clubs? I got the sense from another thread that touched on this area, that there's a whole lot of faffing around in meetings ( or is that just on the organization side for the parents/coaches?)

Essentially, I'm looking for an ongoing series of lessons, one day a weekend, for the whole season, so that I can get off the leash and rip it up for one day of the weekend - without having to go to the (huge?) expense of booking lessons separately each weekend...

Your plan sounds great! Maybe one of the ski schools at a resort will do something like that, possibly one of the ones close to Nagano City on a locals-only basis. It's the kind of thing you find out about from other parents rather than websites, because they don't like tourists knowing local kids are getting a cheaper deal.

A school-based ski club will be more intense than once a week! They'll enter lots of races too, where parents have to go and help out and generally hang around all day.