SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone know of any alpine racing clubs in the Nagano area? I'm looking for a club that offers a junior racing program for kids aged 6 and 9, similar to the Nancy Greene program in Canada.

Thanks!

Many Nagano-based clubs belong to schools or are resort-based but affiliated with local schools and have teacher involvement. Doesn't the school your kids go to have one?

Ha! don't know about that- didn't think to ask..I'll ask child # 1 to ask his teachers, #2 is still in K, so I'm sure they don't have a club. I just assumed that it would be resort-based, and schools would stay out of it.

What's the skiing-to-bureaucracy ratio for school clubs? I got the sense from another thread that touched on this area, that there's a whole lot of faffing around in meetings ( or is that just on the organization side for the parents/coaches?)

Essentially, I'm looking for an ongoing series of lessons, one day a weekend, for the whole season, so that I can get off the leash and rip it up for one day of the weekend - without having to go to the (huge?) expense of booking lessons separately each weekend...

Your plan sounds great! Maybe one of the ski schools at a resort will do something like that, possibly one of the ones close to Nagano City on a locals-only basis. It's the kind of thing you find out about from other parents rather than websites, because they don't like tourists knowing local kids are getting a cheaper deal.

A school-based ski club will be more intense than once a week! They'll enter lots of races too, where parents have to go and help out and generally hang around all day.

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.