Which "Yuzawa" website were you watching? Echigo Yuzawa is the town, when we say "Yuzawa" we usually mean the town. There are a few resorts around town that also bear the Yuzawa name......GALA Yuzawa is probably the biggest/most well known of these town resorts.

Kagura is about 20-25 mins by shuttle bus outside of town, but is the biggest/highest in the area so will prob be ur best bet for skiing at that time.....depending on weather of course

I know it can obviously vary by season, but what is Kagura like mid-December? I usually wait till at least late December to start the season so I have never been that early. I imagine it would have more snow than anything else in the area but is it usually "full coverage" or more stick to the runs? I would imagine the valley beside the Kagura area would be a no go, but I really don't know.

I've had all sorts.....a few times it's been pretty deep, where its went from almost nothing and little base to tits deep in the space of a night or two. That actually wasn't very good cos you were going right through the snow pack :o Mainly it's been good coverage on piste and sketchy off the sides.