• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The oldeur models were then with my model they stopped making diesels for 3 years but then this year they brought out a new diesel engine for the same model.   There are several diesels available no

What do you pay for a litre of diesel in Japan?   It's around $1-50 in Qld.

Great rig Snowjunky - definitely ticks all the boxes:   Room for survey equipment & pegs & stakes..........check Room for extra field party..........check Suitable for bush surveys........

Just bought a new ute.

An Isuzu D-Max. Delivery in a couple of weeks !!

:) :) WooHoo :) :)

Wonder if it'll out-drag Mrs. Big Al's Honda CRV??

Come on....which model now...? If only the flat deck model came in 4wd...

I was surprised to see so many of these pick ups when I was in Bangkok, nearly everyone seems to have them.

A nice big 4WD pick up is a handy motor to have, but sadly hardly any available in Japan unless you go for a grey import.

It's an SX Crew cab (5 seats) 4X2 (2WD) High Ride.

I've run my own Land Surveying business for 13 years now and I have only come close to needing a 4WD on about 2 occasions.

When I first started the business I did buy a 4X4 ('cos most Queensland Surveyors have them) but never needed the 4WD capacity for business use as most of my work is legal boundary definition stuff within central Brisbane.

If we ever do decide to try getting fleeced down Mexico way (south of the QLD - NSW border) by skiing at the Snowies we can take my wife's 4WD CRV, but now that we've tried Japan I don't think that will be happening!!

Yeah Japan sadly lacks in diesel cars, although most manufacturers have the odd diesel car now.

The new Delica is diesel now and the Pajero diesel has been out for ages, butcertainly a lack of choice for cars in general.

Yeah Japan sadly lacks in diesel cars, although most manufacturers have the odd diesel car now.

The new Delica is diesel now and the Pajero diesel has been out for ages, but certainly a lack of choice for cars in general.

Ahem......new.....ahem..........70 Series LandCruiser....

I saw that. I want!

If ONLY they came with a diesel..

The originals did. Guess they figured not enough demand for the re-make.

(Don't suppose there's a hybrid version, either?)

The new Delica is diesel now and the Pajero diesel has been out for ages, butcertainly a lack of choice for cars in general.

Hasn't the Delica been diesel for years? The one I used to drive back in 2006 was a diesel. When I was searching for a new car earlier this year I found that every manufacturer had several diesel engines on offer and some even had diesel hybrids.

The oldeur models were then with my model they stopped making diesels for 3 years but then this year they brought out a new diesel engine for the same model.

There are several diesels available now for the big 4WD cars but none for your average car.

• Like 1

Ahem......new.....ahem..........70 Series LandCruiser....

I saw that. I want!

If ONLY they came with a diesel..

The originals did. Guess they figured not enough demand for the re-make.

(Don't suppose there's a hybrid version, either?)

Interesting that a 2004 (last year of production in Japan) 70 Series with a 1HZ diesel with 100K kms is going for what a new one with the gasser V6 costs....crazy huh... The 1HZ is one of the best motors ever produced.

With regards to demand it's strange that even though the two new 70 models only come with a gas V6 which aren't popular with the hardcore crowd, BUT also only come with a manual transmission which are a plus to the Cruiser heads. I guess that is the only combination that could allow them to sell with a list price of 3.5 million yen.. Pretty cheap actually.

I was making the point that they are pretty cheap....thus the manual and v6. A 1HZ and auto trans would bump that up to what they are paying for them in Aus..... somewhere around $55k. Hell, even a Prado or FJ Cruiser is $40k.....

That 6.6km/l would be with a tail wind.... real world will probably be around 5 or 5.5.. No Cruiser has even gotten good mileage..

Cheapest 70 series in Oz is the Wagon GL which will require 65 000 gold coins less whatever discount you may get. All 70 series are diesel only in Oz - 4.5 litre V8 !!

Cheapest Prado is the GX Manual (Diesel only) at $60 000 less discount. The GXL Petrol retails at $63 000 !!

Car importers, like most importers / wholesalers here are not generally thought of as nice chaps.

This is why internet sales for goods which can easily be posted have absolutely sky-rocketed here.

My Full Tilt First Chair ski boots cost $421 including postage from a shop in Edinburgh - the ski shops here wanted $900+ WTF??

Australia must be really bad if its cheaper to buy non-British gear from the UK!

Getting back to big cars but they use so much fuel that what may seem like little differences in economy add up to a lot. The difference between 5 and 6 mightn't sound like much but its 20% and that's 20% of a lot. The difference in cost is 100,000 yen every 20,000km, assuming 160 yen to the liter.

A lot of the reason why they stopped making diesel engines for about 5-8 years was because of the strict pollution regulations that Japan introduced.

But now with the clean diesels they are well within those limits and therefore are able to make diesel engines for cars again.

Hopefully they will become more and more popular like in europe where about 70% or more are diesels.

They are more powerful, have a lot more pulling power, way more torque, last longer and a lot more economical than a petrol engine.

And a lot of the new diesels are as fast of faster than the petrol size equivalent.

One or two of the F1 companies developed a diesel racing engine a few years back and wanted to use that in their cars, but they were band because during testing they left the petrol engine cars standing.

Don't they fire more effectively at lower revs or something like that, which makes them more powerful at lower speeds?

Don't know why I'm even piping up really; can't drive and can't see myself doing so soon :(

One or two of the F1 companies developed a diesel racing engine a few years back and wanted to use that in their cars, but they were band because during testing they left the petrol engine cars standing.

I heard something about this- I thought they voted against it because-

1) acceleration was pretty poor and

2) the race sounded like a stampede of farting rhinos.

Could be wrong though.

Yes diesel have more power at lower revs and in fact red line around the 4500rpm mark against petrol engines around the 6500rpm mark.

Trucks and tractors red line even lower.

Don't they fire more effectively at lower revs or something like that, which makes them more powerful at lower speeds?

Don't know why I'm even piping up really; can't drive and can't see myself doing so soon :(

haha! same as me! :D

I heard something about this- I thought they voted against it because-

1) acceleration was pretty poor and

2) the race sounded like a stampede of farting rhinos.

Could be wrong though.

They were band because they beat all the petrol cars for acceleration and top speed.

Well, for starters, there is more energy in diesel than in gasoline. About 15% more for the same volume, which is the measure by which fuel is sold. If its cheaper, it's usually because of taxation (to make transportation and buses cheaper), not because of worth or the yield you get from crude. As a simple fuel, diesel is a more valuable product.

Regarding sports cars, Ferrari, McLaren, and Porsche have all just built petrol electric hybrids. They could have built diesels had they wanted to.