'Accommodation Spotlights' & online booking for accommodation in Japan

• SnowJapan Admin

Here we are in October and it's time I introduce something new to SnowJapan - even though I can't show it you all just yet.

Until now we have of course had our popular Places to Stay section on the site. That is going to continue with a bit of a change name - accommodations on that section will now be called 'Accommodation Spotlights' but will essentially remain the same... you can contact them directly. We will of course be continuing to support those places and encourage you to take a look. Here they are:

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-places-to-stay

Some more will be added in the coming days and others are welcome to join.

Japan is a big place though of course and more people are wanting information on accommodation outside of the main really popular areas for foreign guests, so for a while we have been thinking of ways in which we can introduce a much wider range of accommodation throughout Japan. Our solution is a tie-up with booking.com, and there is some more information on that here:

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-places-to-stay/accommodation-bookings

So if you so wish, you can make use of that functionality and find and book places throughout Japan from 'within' SnowJapan.

The above page is just one way in which this new content will be available, but I just wanted to share that for the moment.

It's going to take us a while to sort everything out and get settled, bear with us and I'll keep this updated when all is in place.

• Like 1

I see booking.com have added new listings in the Inawashiro area that they didn't used to have. :thumbsup:

Impressed that they have provided full English blurb translations for even tiny little places.

(French coverage seems a bit hit-or-miss.)

• SnowJapan Admin

We did do a lot of 'research' on the different options out there, starting many months ago actually. They did clearly have the most extensive 'Japan ski resort town' coverage. And it does seem that they are going out and trying to add more as well.

People will inevitably have different opinions on services like this, but we thought it was the best option.

And we're not pushing it on people....if you want to use it, you can; and the other way round! Hopefully some people will find it useful.

:friend:

• SnowJapan Admin

A few updates as we continue to make adjustments:

The Places to Stay index page has been updated:

http://www.snowjapan...-places-to-stay

>>>>>>>>

The resort listing pages also have some new information on them.

For example, here's Mt Granview page:

http://www.snowjapan...uma/mt-granview

1) any 'Accommodation Spotlights' that exist in the area are listed on the right side.

2) a link to any 'Accommodation Spotlights' in the area is added near the bottom of the page (if none is available, nothing will appear).

3) a link to any online booking content for the area is added at the bottom of the page (if none is available, nothing will appear).

The last one 3) is being adjusted manually for each resort and so will take some time to complete for them all.

>>>>>>>>

Individual 'Accommodation Spotlights' have also had an update:

http://www.snowjapan...hi-biyu-no-yado

1) the contact information near top left has been adjusted to make it clearer.

2) if there is an "online booking" page for an accommodation, it will appear here (and on the right side of the page and bottom of the page)

3) we have discontinued the 'Booking Request Form' - less people were using it, prefering to visit websites and contact via email or phone - as well as the fact that it was causing some techinical issues.

>>>>>>>>

Resort page updates

We have started the process of checking and updating information for each ski and snowboard resort in Japan.

As there are 500 or so with lots of them still not having updated their own information, this will take some time.... we hope to have them all done by the end of November.

In the meantime, the way to check if we have updated a resorts information for the new season is to look at the "Planned season" dates near the top of the page - it will either be 2013/2014 (ie. not updated) or 2014/2015 (ie. updated!)

• Like 1
  • SnowJapan Admin

Added:

For each of the 500+ ski hills on SnowJapan from Hokkaido to Kyushu, we have added at least one link.

Where possible, there is a link to accommodation in the same town.

Some resorts have links to accommodation in two closeby towns.

If there's no nearby town data available that we can find, we have added a link to accommodation in the same prefecture as the skijo.

• Like 1

Great addition! After doing one search I already want to come back to plan a vacation back to Japan for some 'me' time, lol!

*by 'me' time I mean snowboarding hahahaha