What's the oldest piece of kit that you still regularly use?

I was fixing up a pair of second hand bindings from 2002 the other day. The rubber grommets holding in the toe straps had rotted and basically disintegrated resulting in the straps pulling out last season (both of them, while on the hill and about 5 minutes apart!). At the time, the ski shop couldn't help me (they had no idea what I was talking about) so I ended up folding pieces of gum tape until I had a sturdy enough rod to feed through the hole left by the grommets that anchored them into the binding. Happily enough, I was good for the rest of the day. This has got me thinking about how viable old gear really is. I've since replaced the gum tape with metal rods and the straps feel as sturdy as I imagine they originally were.

Snowboarding is a sport that is heavily dependent. Having gear you can rely on is definitely a big part of it but on the other hand, I'm really not adverse to using gear that is 10 years plus old. In my mind, the tech hasn't really changed that much, especially in the case of the snowboards themselves. I was wondering about other people's opinion on old gear vs new gear is. Do you still use any gear that is 10 or more years old? Have you had any experience of gear giving up on you that made you wish you hadn't used anything so old?

+1 had a ski boot "explode" on the way down hill at Thredbo some years ago. Right under the lift line too, she was doing nicely and sudden stop and face-plant! WTF?? Stood up and realised that right foot was damned cold (and more than a bit wet!) I was down hill of her, so didn't see it (Damn!!!) She ended up getting a lift back to the centre on a skidoo that happened to be passing, and had a "shopping excuse" for the afternoon.

snowboards have advanced miles in the last 3-5 years let alone 10!

just look at the range of splitboards available now.

my oldest peice of kit would have to be an old beanie or something,

Yep, my toque is about 15 years old, still going strong. As for boards, personally I'm not convinced that's been any big changes in snowboard construction. They're still pressed in the same machines using the same materials that were available in 2000 as far as I know. Sure, there's a lot more variety of shapes and camber types now though. I'm not an expert on snowboard manufacture but when I see all the technical jargon used to describe snowboards now, I'm inclined to think that alot of it is smoke and mirrors. Like I said, no expert here so I welcome any info to enlighten me.

Boots are something I will always buy new and in a shop, solely for the heat molding and getting the fit just right. Bindings have gotten alot lighter when compared to the past. Again, my old phogey instincts come out and I find the new bindings to be over-engineered although I do prefer newer bindings for the ease of use. Soft goods on the other hand, I have used for long periods. I have a Special Blend jacket I used for 9 seasons. It still works fine but the pastel colors it rocks are definitely a 90's thing. It came with a life time warranty. Shame it outlasted the company that made it. Gloves I tend to go through relatively quickly. I'm pretty conflicted about retiring my old gear as it often has specific fun memories for me. Anybody else get attached to their gear or is it just me?

My skis that I am using must be at least 4- 5 years old now, but they are not ready for replacing just yet! Stocks same as the skis.

Gloves maybe 2-3 years old.

Boots and helmet were new last year, but I have still kept my old boots which are now about 8 years old, they still function, but I don't use them anymore.

I don't see the need to replace something that functions well and is still safe, but as my boots were 7 years old and the lining was starting to get a bit thin, decided it would be better to change them, as they were probably getting to the point where sooner rather than later something might start to fail on them, no cool!

Forgot to add, my jacket and trousers, one set is about 3-5 years old the other maybe nearer 10, both perfectly ok and the older one is no colder or less good than the newer one. I just prefer the newer one as it does not have shoulder straps, which makes pulling the trousers down easier if I need to take a dump and has more pockets on both the jacket and trousers for putting bits and pieces in.

My goggles I think are about 5 years old now.

Only things I will renew before they get past there best are the skis and boots, for safety reasons more than anything, other gear as and when I feel they are no longer serving the intended function.

Oldest kit would be the ex-hire skis that I ride on regularly. I bought them as 2 seasons old, in 2005, and they still work well.

Will take them to Japow again in January. Might try to find some new planks while I'm there (if I can convince +1 to look the other way!)

My Body :)

I have a pair of gloves that are 21 years old but don't think they will make the trip this year

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner! and out of left field too. I would have expected gloves to have been one of the sooner replaced pieces of gear.

Still have a great pair of gloves bought in 1994, although the stitching in fingers has come loose so they're pretty much relegated to March/April use now. Somewhere in the back of the skiwear boxes is my old one-piece bought in 1983 and used until 2004, only thing really wrong with it is the sort of rubbery info sticker inside has deteriorated into flakey pieces of `stuff' and belt buckle broke after about 8 years so suit kind of hangs without a waist (which may actually be a positive). Still, just completed a buy of new goretex jacket & pants which should last me the rest of my skiing life.

So u destroy your skis and boots in 4 seasons or less?

Yes. I put it through its paces with a typical season seeing me on skis for 100 days.

Most of the outerwear lasts 1-2 seasons.

Mid layers last 2-4 seasons.

Base layers last 1-2 seasons.

New gloves every season.

Goggles last 1-2 seasons.

Helmet is 4 seasons old but needs a change.

Bought a top of the range Pheonix Goretex jacket with lining by Neidhart of Switzerland for 200 pommie pounds at the London Ski Show at Earls Court in 1989 !!!

Still going strong - black with (fading) yellow and pink shoulder panels.

Outstanding quality and the warmest jacket I have ever had.

An English bloke working at Goryu last season told me that they were even worth a bit now as the retro look and quality were making them a bit of a statement. Mind you, I was the only one making that statement in the whole of the Hakuba Valley as far as I could see.

Funny, I remember also buying a pair of 213cm Volkl Renntiger GS skis at the same ski show. Man! they were tough on the Mattun moguls at St. Anton!!!!

So u destroy your skis and boots in 4 seasons or less?

the average punter does what 10-15 days max a season?

of course someone who skis 100+ days a year will go through gear almost every season/2 seasons.

i destroyed my deeluxe spark boots in 30 days last year splitboard mountaineering

I have a Burton FL board and bindings I still use. Circa late 90's. The bindings are kind of Frankenstein bindings now. Made up of all sorts of on the mountain repairs "that I will fix when I am back in town....."

• Like 1

I was fixing up a pair of second hand bindings from 2002 the other day. The rubber grommets holding in the toe straps had rotted and basically disintegrated resulting in the straps pulling out last season (both of them, while on the hill and about 5 minutes apart!). At the time, the ski shop couldn't help me (they had no idea what I was talking about) so I ended up folding pieces of gum tape until I had a sturdy enough rod to feed through the hole left by the grommets that anchored them into the binding. Happily enough, I was good for the rest of the day. This has got me thinking about how viable old gear really is. I've since replaced the gum tape with metal rods and the straps feel as sturdy as I imagine they originally were.

Snowboarding is a sport that is heavily dependent. Having gear you can rely on is definitely a big part of it but on the other hand, I'm really not adverse to using gear that is 10 years plus old. In my mind, the tech hasn't really changed that much, especially in the case of the snowboards themselves. I was wondering about other people's opinion on old gear vs new gear is. Do you still use any gear that is 10 or more years old? Have you had any experience of gear giving up on you that made you wish you hadn't used anything so old?

I think it's ok to use an old gear, as long as you're the one who used it through time. But, if you'd bought it on second hand, oh well, I don't think it's still good to use. Qualities before and today may have been lots of difference, and there are lots of great new gears(technologically speaking) for Beginner today than the gears that beginners used before.

I think it's ok to use an old gear, as long as you're the one who used it through time. But, if you'd bought it on second hand, oh well, I don't think it's still good to use. Qualities before and today may have been lots of difference, and there are lots of great new gears(technologically speaking) for Beginner today than the gears that beginners used before.

I politely beg to differ. It's not hard to lay a second hand board on the ground and see if it is warped or not. Same as it isn't hard to check for camber, core-shots, delams and dents in the metal. I'm not against new gear, don't get me wrong. I'm just open to using old kit both from an economical and environmental point of view.

I have a Burton FL board and bindings I still use. Circa late 90's. The bindings are kind of Frankenstein bindings now. Made up of all sorts of on the mountain repairs "that I will fix when I am back in town....."

I have the exact same board. Beautiful stick, the last board that Bryan Iguchi designed for Burton I believe.

Bought a top of the range Pheonix Goretex jacket with lining by Neidhart of Switzerland for 200 pommie pounds at the London Ski Show at Earls Court in 1989 !!!

Still going strong - black with (fading) yellow and pink shoulder panels.

Outstanding quality and the warmest jacket I have ever had.

An English bloke working at Goryu last season told me that they were even worth a bit now as the retro look and quality were making them a bit of a statement. Mind you, I was the only one making that statement in the whole of the Hakuba Valley as far as I could see.

Funny, I remember also buying a pair of 213cm Volkl Renntiger GS skis at the same ski show. Man! they were tough on the Mattun moguls at St. Anton!!!!

I was at the Earls Court show in 89 I remember they had the indoor jumps

You have a better memory than I seemore, but I do remember they had a small artificial slope set up where the public could have a go as a load of workmates and I braved the brush!

May have talked shit with you that evening in the "Prince of Teck" - I was the rumbo-swilling Scotsman wearing a brand new Pheonix Goretex jacket, carrying a pair of 213cm Volkl Renntigers!!

You have a better memory than I seemore, but I do remember they had a small artificial slope set up where the public could have a go as a load of workmates and I braved the brush!

May have talked shit with you that evening in the "Prince of Teck" - I was the rumbo-swilling Scotsman wearing a brand new Pheonix Goretex jacket, carrying a pair of 213cm Volkl Renntigers!!

Are The Prince of Teck wonder if that place is still going