SnowJapan Community
Sign in to follow this  
Peetan

Eruption in Nagano/Gifu!

Looking at the JMA earthquakes list, there were none for that area recently that I can see, so any must all have been under shindo 1.

The boffins obviously didn't think that what they saw was significant enough to put out warnings. Volcano warnings have been issued in the past, so they obviously do say when there are "clear" signs that something might be about to happen.

There was some increased seismic activity recorded at Mount Ontake but no indications of a major eruption, according to Japanese officials. Typical signs, such as increased seismic rattling or underground structural movement, were not detected.

David Rothery, professor of planetary geosciences at the Open University, said: “This was a monitored volcano and there was nothing that looked particularly out of the ordinary. There was no measurable ground deformation, for example. It is a surprise.”

Evacuate central Japan!

Makes you think about checking on a mountains 'volcano status' before going! Status as in 'active or not'. Scary whatever.

the amount of skiijo on and/or nearby active or dormant volcanoes is slightly worrying too. Lady Peetan mentioned that the one near Aizu has the same warning level as Ontake.

I think she said as many as 49 other places are too, but I wasn't listening properly because I just got home after a school enkai, and therefore drunky.

At least with a skijo you can ski/board down quick to escape. Maybe.

Stay on the ridges, keep out of the valleys.

This is from the Whakapapa Skifield in the North Island of New Zealand - while much of the information is specific to this skifield, some of it will be relevant if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself skiing or snowboarding on a volcano when it erupts.

gallery_11569_24_613186.jpg

I recommended Ontake to muika a few weeks ago as an autumn leaves spot :veryshocked:

Mr Wiggles tries to kill Muika: Nudes of the World exclusive

Seems that they might be able to learn from this episode in terms of what might be some signs of this kind of eruption.

Just think of the timing for a second..... Perfect climbing season, beautiful Saturday, 12 noon ...when everyone climbing is at the peak having lunch.....

Whoa, that is not good.

Maybe Fuji will be next although hopefully not.

Volcanoes exploding all over the world at the moment.

Yeah right! I observed that too! Why is that so? Is there any expalnations on that?

Hopefully the one who's seroiusly injured will get well soon.

That's why I always back off hiking through volcanoes though.

ethanbaggett

We don't allow links in signatures etc (and certainly no commercial ones selling ski tours!); I have deleted it.

Thanks.

Why is it needed to send that many rescuers (500?) :wakaranai: up the mountain - there is stil a risk. To retrieve the bodies - it only needs a few and the helicopter.

Said on the news before that things might get worse by the sounds of things

Why is it needed to send that many rescuers (500?) :wakaranai: up the mountain - there is stil a risk. To retrieve the bodies - it only needs a few and the helicopter.

Japanese army have nothing better to do

Whoa, that is not good.

Maybe Fuji will be next although hopefully not.

Volcanoes exploding all over the world at the moment.

Yeah right! I observed that too! Why is that so? Is there any expalnations on that?

I'd be more interested if you could show any period in the last 100 million or so years when there wasn't a time that volcanoes were erupting all over the world. It's hardly unusual.

Sign in to follow this  

sjf2019l.png

About SnowJapan

SnowJapan.com is the independent guide to skiing and snowboarding in Japan and has been online since 1999.

SnowJapan.com covers the whole of Japan. We are here to introduce the world to unbiased, honest and detailed information about winter sports in Japan. We publish exclusive and in-depth and daily content throughout the winter season and we add new functionality and content to the site every year.

We are not here to promote any specific destinations or resorts, or to sell our readers any kind of products or services. We are not a travel agency and we do not own any ski resorts, ski schools, accommodations or other related businesses.

Latest Community Content