Eruption in Nagano/Gifu!

Looking at the JMA earthquakes list, there were none for that area recently that I can see, so any must all have been under shindo 1.

The boffins obviously didn't think that what they saw was significant enough to put out warnings. Volcano warnings have been issued in the past, so they obviously do say when there are "clear" signs that something might be about to happen.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nah pie i gud!  

Well yes I agree, but were the helmets that news announcers in the tv studios wore effective during all the reporting for the major earthquake in Tohoku? No, but they did it (and looked rather silly

I do like the news guys standing 5 kms away wearing the helmets while other people are just walking around on the background helmet-less. Another typhoon is on it's way up .... so we should be treate

There was some increased seismic activity recorded at Mount Ontake but no indications of a major eruption, according to Japanese officials. Typical signs, such as increased seismic rattling or underground structural movement, were not detected.

David Rothery, professor of planetary geosciences at the Open University, said: “This was a monitored volcano and there was nothing that looked particularly out of the ordinary. There was no measurable ground deformation, for example. It is a surprise.”

Evacuate central Japan!

the amount of skiijo on and/or nearby active or dormant volcanoes is slightly worrying too. Lady Peetan mentioned that the one near Aizu has the same warning level as Ontake.

I think she said as many as 49 other places are too, but I wasn't listening properly because I just got home after a school enkai, and therefore drunky.

This is from the Whakapapa Skifield in the North Island of New Zealand - while much of the information is specific to this skifield, some of it will be relevant if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself skiing or snowboarding on a volcano when it erupts.

gallery_11569_24_613186.jpg

Whoa, that is not good.

Maybe Fuji will be next although hopefully not.

Volcanoes exploding all over the world at the moment.

Yeah right! I observed that too! Why is that so? Is there any expalnations on that?

Hopefully the one who's seroiusly injured will get well soon.

That's why I always back off hiking through volcanoes though.

Why is it needed to send that many rescuers (500?) :wakaranai: up the mountain - there is stil a risk. To retrieve the bodies - it only needs a few and the helicopter.

Japanese army have nothing better to do

Whoa, that is not good.

Maybe Fuji will be next although hopefully not.

Volcanoes exploding all over the world at the moment.

Yeah right! I observed that too! Why is that so? Is there any expalnations on that?

I'd be more interested if you could show any period in the last 100 million or so years when there wasn't a time that volcanoes were erupting all over the world. It's hardly unusual.