AGEING SUCKS BIG TIME!!!! In my mind I am still in my 30's then i catch a glance of my reflection and wonder who that old woman is.

I was so fit, fabulous and healthy until 45 NOW I am on a first name basis with my doctor :sadface:

AND what is the go with all the aches and pains in the mornings when you get up. BLAH I want to be young again :eyes:

Oh SNAP!

I can so relate!

But I'm fighting it with everything I've got.

There shall be no such thing as ageing gracefully.

I am waking up earlier and earlier and going to bed earlier as well - maybe that is a sign of getting older

I hate going to bed early and hate getting up early. I did many years of that when I was younger, buggered if I'm doing it now I'm older. I'm rarely in bed before 1am and rarely up before 8am.

Age doesn't bother me, it is something we all have to put up with.

At the moment I do not feel there is anything I can't do that I could when I were in my twenties.

Probably can't lift quite as much weight, but that is about it.

Whether that changes in a few years or so I don't know.

So far no grey hairs and no aches and pain, but I guess they will come, especially to my foot that I badly damaged when I was around 24.

But, the alternative to getting older (ie ageing) is far from attractive - you go a funny blue colour and they stick you in a box and drop you in the fire (or in a hole in the ground)!

I'd rather grow older that the alternative! :D

• Like 1

I'm hearing you JA.

Another sign of ageing is simply the pace at which you can accelerate training.

In my judo days in my 20's a 3 week burst of crazy training prior to a tournament would do the trick.

By contrast, today now that my latest back injury is very much "on the mend" I'll have to slowly try a little bit at the gym, then a bit more, then back on the bike for a low stress "roll out", then a bit more, all the while introducing dietary improvements - probably going to try Tubby's 5:2.

Any attempt to try the old "dive in and flog it - no pain no gain" tactics will simply see an epic fail from one body part or another !

Got it, Tubby, thanks much. Join me there, and first stick & brew on me!

Just give me a shout when you're up :thumbsup:

My favourite ジンギスカン place is also around the corner, if u like ジンギスカン

Niseko 2011

I was practicing a butter. Nothing special, just a few spins. Obviously slamming all day with the occasional success to keep me going.

But it got tough.

No specific injury, but those cumulative hits took their toll. I think it destroyed the rest of my trip. I know its something we all go through, but that was definitely the moment i realised the pipe dreams were over. I could take the slams. I could take a broken wrist. But this... it was the feeling that id lost something mental rather than physical that did me in. I was in chains to a new world order. It signaled the end. I was broken.

Only kidding cats. Three months to the new season! lets wiping!

• Like 1

Niseko 2011

I was practicing a butter. Nothing special, just a few spins. Obviously slamming all day with the occasional success to keep me going.

But it got tough.

No specific injury, but those cumulative hits took their toll. I think it destroyed the rest of my trip. I know its something we all go through, but that was definitely the moment i realised the pipe dreams were over. I could take the slams. I could take a broken wrist. But this... it was the feeling that id lost something mental rather than physical that did me in. I was in chains to a new world order. It signaled the end. I was broken.

Only kidding cats. Three months to the new season! lets wiping!

Ha ha. Gingerly, tentatively, building up courage on the kicker at Snova the other day, I was acutely aware of my age. All these young kids on snowboards doing spins off it, and here I was at my age, just straight jumping it on skis. Which was great fun, actually. But seeing all these kids going at it, I felt like, heck, I'm not going to let them put me out to pasture! Keep at it! I'm sure the kids thought, "What the heck is this old geezer doing here? We'll show how it's done!" So good mutual motivation. At least so I imagined. (More likely, they just thought, why is this oyaji wasting everyone's time in the line-up?)

Managed some crude splits, next time might tackle backscratchers. Someday, might I even get stupid enough to try spins?

Not ready to let gravity win yet.

We all know i suck on a snowboard, but around 2012, once again in Niseko, took a heavy slam at the big kicker at the base of hirafu (near the gondy). It was OBVIOUSLY too big for me, but had a couple of mates i was riding with at the time who had taken me a little under their winging and gently nudging me out of my comfort zone. Had a couple of successful airs. Third hit though, over corrected on the landing and ended up smashing face first into the knuckle. Ouch.

Didnt hurt all that bad to be honest. Part of the reason i had a go on it was it wasnt pristine. There was freshies on the run up slowing things down and keeping the speeds manageable. If it was later in the season and a bit icier, theres no way i would have touched it, but it was soft. Still, it killed my air progression. It was nice and smooth up to that point. Its not so much i consciously chose to avoid it or anything, but i just always found a line id rather be on than park.

Then at the tail of (my) last season (March 2013) on an empty and slightly slushy nozawa i decided i could have a wee play in the park again to kill the boredom. Successfully hit the first two kickers and approached the final one (just a regular medium size park hit but big enough to be a bit intimidating) and heart in my mouth, i threw caution to the wind and... er, not even a problem. Had another couple of cracks at it and the same story. All i could think was "damn man, i could have been playing on this all season and having a blast".

Its all in the head. Then again im a sprightly late thirties. Im like a rubber band compared to some of you auld fellas. ;)

Turning skiers left off the top of the Cosmo Four lift at Goryu, there it was: a particularly meaty looking GS course with some serious looking 20-somethings banging through the gates at a hell of a rate of nauts.

Well, it had only been 22 years since I last raced and it's obviously like riding a bike, thought I, so why not??

I just wish I had been warned about the Invisible Tradie of Goryu. You know , the one who skies alongside you after gate 2 and blow torches your quads with an acetylene cutter forcing you to retire to the café doing a very good impersonation of Billy Connolly's drunk man walk!!

PMSL!

Well....not literally...if it was literally I'd really be feeling old!