Does anyone know what's going on with the closing times of the lifts there? Some close as early as 3.30. We were also told at 3.15 that couldn't get over to the Dragondola side as the area was now out of bounds. Strange, considering there was no wind, conditions generally being perfect. Strange...

Because the place is so wide and it takes some people an hour or more to get from one end to the other, some lifts do close earlier than others up there. I heard they sometimes have problems with people getting "stuck" in the wrong place because they were too late making the move to get back to their respective ropeway.

Not sure what your exact situation was up there, but you should plan to be in your "final destination area" (ie Mitsumata or Tashiro, or at least in the middle of Kagura) by around 3:30.

Where were you at 3:15 then?

I`m thinking of getting a pass there... is it pretty decent? Ihave no idea about this skipass in Japan thing. the closest thing i ever had to a pass was at whistler, and then only because we had a huge student discount. but is it easy to get there and away?

kagura was good! Lots of powder...

I did that hike, and it was probably the most painful, greulling, annoying hike I have ever done...there were about 3 tours/avie courses going on, each with at least 15members...not to mention tons of other people climbing..everyone had skins or snowshoes, which left me as the only one hiking in ski boots (my buddies all were on their elven snowboard boots...)...so it felt like I was walking in quicksand for 2hrs...sucked...

but the results were great...amazing steep wide open face...

the trees on the switchback at the very end were also good fun...

great snow everywhere...beautifl day

danz

The top double chair is almost permanently closed due to a past avalanche accident. It was not in the trail, but someone ducked the rope and went to NO NO land and triggered one.

Last Saturday was great, while snowing in Kanto, Kagura, altough cloudy, we were able to see Myoko, Hiuchi, Alps, and even Sado Island, not mentioning the entire Mikuni/Tanigawa Renpo. Temperatuer was very cold and the snow was very light from the top.

I agree, first time out this year at Kagura on saturday. First run of the season in deep powder in the trees was a bit of a challenge (board is way to short) but after moving my bindings all the way back, and some saintly patience from db I started to improve a lot in the trees. Couple of runs had had me hooting through some tight-ish trees. What a rush. Couple of tough walk outs though as the powder was pretty deep. Sort of glad I didn't join Danz and the boys for the 2 and a half hour death march up to the top as it would have been the death of me. I am off to the gym tonight to start getting some fitness back after too much drinking over the holidays.

Thanks for a great day boys! I am stiff and a bit sore today though! Shinkansen ride home was a crack up. lol.gif

A friggin funny day indeed.

One of the laugh highlights came at the end of the day when Bowler mistakenly offered a total stranger a spray of deoderant. Kind of had to be there, but man, it was funny.

I also enjoyed being naked (except for a long sleeve t-shirt) in front of the omiyage shop entrance. Mr* seemed to enjoy pretending to provide me with some cover as well.

"pretending"??? thats the thanks I get? last time I shield you from a giggling crowd. mad.gif

danz' review of the hike puts it in better light than I would. My choice 1st day of the season doesnt include a snow-shoeless 2 1/2 hour hike up a mountain in knee deep powder. By the time I got to the top, I didnt have the juice to enjoy the 30 second powder run (which does look very avalanche prone... btw). Perhaps if it was further into my season i'd be in shape and have the stamina to pull off a hike like that... but I'll never do it again.

In spite of the "death march" it was fun just being out with a good crew.

Glad to hear all you guys enjoyed Kagura sooo much. Living here, I get to enjoy it most of the time with just a few friends, which is much more fun than sharing it with the weekend warriors.

However, I now have the answer as to who is screwing the trail up so much hiking in ski/board boots. In case you never though about it, skins work by applying pressure across the whole surface of the ski/board. When people ( a very polite description) hike the trails without skins/shoeshoes it makes it, at times, almost impossible for others to hike the same trail. On the steeper parts of a climb, the skins make no contact with the snow where people have walked without snowshoes/skins. This means forward momentum is lost, and one starts to slide backwards (at best)

Another thing, how many of you use beacons, carry shovels and probes, and have any idea of lacalised conditions, snow build up, wind deposits, slab layers, etc, etc.......spare a thought for those that may have to come and get you should anything go wrong......

It is a great feeling hiking somewhere the masses don't go and enjoying the powder and freedom of the backcountry. But guys, do yourselves (and others) a favour, get some education on avalanche safety, get yourselves some proper backcountry equipement, and make the whole experience a safer one. With the amount of inexperienced people hiking to the top of Kagura, and other places, it is only a matter of time before things go pear shaped and someone gets 'taken out' - I hope it's not you. ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by stripper on coke:
....much more fun than sharing it with the weekend warriors.

..... When people ( a very polite description) hike the trails ....
If you want people (my friends) to listen to your potentially good advice, you should try not insulting them first. Just a communication tip for the week.

He is right that you guys are at that point that you should be buying gear. Danz when you ski the peak of Niseko do you go one at a time. Did all of you guys have gear. If you go in on it together through someone like Dave at evergreen Im sure he will give you a good deal.

S on coke: DB is right, if you want to make your point dont insult them first. Without us weekend warriors you wouldnt have a job. I doubt anyone would head to the outdoor club after beening told off. The guy who runs the program there what are his levels?

Last weekend was just another fabulous time at Kagura. Sunday was exceptionally good (although, visibility was bad)in terms of snow amount and quality. It was DOH in every run we took.

BTW,this year, Kagura has changed the format of the mouteneering plan that you're required to fill out at the ticket booth(if you go off to BC, that is). It has a map with good descriptions and the place names that are not on a 1/25,000 topo map and some areas of past avalanche accidents. Next time you have a chance, ask for a copy when you buy tickets.