• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather than 'what are your hobbies off season', what do you do to stop yourself from going rusty in the summer months? Do you go to summer slopes? Indoor slopes? Does skateboarding help for boarders?

I had decided to read motivational books but I just can't seem to get started.

I tend to cartwheel, myself.     ...Though, is it technically called cartwheeling if partly done with your face?

Forgot to mention that I now stand at the computer rather than sit. That's made a massive difference to my core in a very short space of time (3 months).

And about 30 mins to an hour of that standing time I stand on a balancing board.

do you have to bend over much at all? or is the computer at a nice height where you can stand up straight with good posture?

Forgot to mention that I now stand at the computer rather than sit. That's made a massive difference to my core in a very short space of time (3 months).

And about 30 mins to an hour of that standing time I stand on a balancing board.

do you have to bend over much at all? or is the computer at a nice height where you can stand up straight with good posture?

Only on busy Saturdays at the Blue oyster

• 2 weeks later...

Kiroro is lots of fun too, but not having a car, Kokusai is much easier to get to and therefore much more frequented since discovering there is a bus direct to Kokusai from Maruyama bus station.

To get to Kiroro you either have to go to the JR bus station or the Chuo bus station. Worth the trip there though!

Any fitness regime can't be a bad thing. I think particularly squats and lunges as mentioned above.

I don't snowboard, so I can't compare the exact feeling but I think skating transition (ramp, bowl etc) must be pretty good. Throw some powerslides and imagine the snow spray. Obviously, grinds, board slides etc. are good if you like hitting the park.

If you are in Japan it shouldn't be too hard to find a skate park with a mini ramp or at least some quarter pipes not too far from you. Only downside is you could end up with an injury that will keep you off the slopes for a while. I had a sprained knee this year that left me pretty much immobile for a week back in May.

Of all things, doing a boneless. Trying to gap between a quarter pipe and a mini ramp (about 4 foot high) and only a small gap, about 1 foot. I made it twice but landed without much speed in the mini ramp. So I tried it a third time and tried to kind of go higher, so I could catch more of the transition on the landing. It is hard to explain and it happened really fast, but I kind of over rotated the 180 and as I landed, one foot bounced off the board and the other was sort of stuck on there. So as I fell, the one foot that was still on the board went down the transition really fast as I sort of tumbled at a really awkward angle. The knee of my right leg got really twisted around and sprained. All big, fat, stiff and purple. Even now it still makes a weird clicking sound.

Still, we have to do something when there isn't snow. If it wasn't for skateboards I might be a drunkard or a pachinko junkie.

Yeah that does look rather cool actually, and does looks like a great way to keep your skiing form and body up to scratch during the off season.

Not long now,

Just over 2 months and I hope to be getting my first slide of the new season on its way!

I used to teach inline skating to beginners who wanted to use it for ski season prep. Also, played inline hockey during the summer up in Hokkaido. I should break out the blades and go for skate..